Symptomatic low nocturnal bp

Hi All,

I am struggling to work out whether there is a point at which low nocturnal blood pressure becomes unsafe. 

I have ncs .

I am a side sleeper and often wake every night with queasy stomach, feeling like I am struggling to breathe normally , quickening pulse . My bp is around 79 over 45. Whereas on my back it is 100 over 60.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

It is normal to have lower blood pressure when laying on one's left side.  Have you noticed if you've been laying on your left side at those times?

Mine drops when I lay on my left, but not that much.  It doesn't drop when I lay on my right.  My blood pressure plummets when I roll over in bed a couple times in a row, this might be a fluke of wrist cuff measurement though.

Guest ANCY

I also have NCS. That reading can be a problem for some, although it is typical to have a slight drop in bp when sleeping. I don't loose consciousness  with bp >65/30 but of course can feel horrible well before that. Something that came to mind is sleep apnea, have you been tested? I have a c pap and when I use it it helps me not wake up as frequently with NCS symptoms like you describe. The reading on your back, is that after changing position? Do you know what your oxygen  levels are during these episodes? 

Maybe you could ask your dr about a sleep study? Sleep apnea or not it could prove helpful in answering why you are having sleep problems. Moving around after I've been sleeping, no matter how small the move, will affect my blood pressure.  I hope you find some answers and get some much needed GOOD sleep!

Sort of funny story...on a couple of occasions when I have been in the hospital , they have come in and taken my blood pressure at night. often they will wake me up, make me put my legs under a pillow etc until my blood pressure increases. Nothing is mentioned about this when I am released. I am thinking if it happens here, I am certain it happens at home .