Michigan Jan-How are you?

Jan & Jeff, I just want you to know that Teri and I were thinking of you many times while we were away. We're hoping that you're coping as best as you can. Love, Nina

Had a bad day yesterday. About 10 a.m. Jeff thought he might be having the very first stirrings of nausea so he took one of the pills the doctor had ordered for him. Jeff was told to take a pill at the very first sign of nausea, not to wait. So he did.

The pill was compazine.

He was on the couch all day and just drifting in and out and felt so extremely weak--didn't want to get up, drink, eat. He must get to 2000 calories each day and right now after the chemo he must have the 10-12 glasses of water and he must rinse his mouth with salt water every 2 hours. He couldn't do any of that.

Finally at about 7 o click I called his doctor who said the compazine could do that and not to take it unless he is truly nauseas. I asked him to change the anti nausea drug and the doc said they all have side effects, so if he gets the nausea he will have to take the compazine again and if it is bad, he will then change the med. He also stressed Jeff MUST have those 2000 calories a day and the water. I decided that if he has to take it again, we will divide it, or use one of the suppositories and cut it in half. Can always take more if a smaller amount doesn't work.

Jeff finally did recover a bit and we had to stuff him to make up for all the lost calories, but managed to finish the day a bit less than 2000 calories. This morning he is better. WOW! I am the champion of drug reactions. Now Jeff has experienced one.

Let's hope today is better. I just want to stay home and rest for a few days, but Jeff wants to go to church this morning and we need groceries and our daughter is coming this afternoon. Maybe I will make her go to the grocery and let Jeff go to church alone. He does seem quite able. However, the service is dedicated to the two of us, so I feel like I should go. Will see. I was so dispared yesterday. I am just tired from cancer and the fight is just beginning.

Michigan Jan

Jan,

I hope you and Jeff both have a better day today! Sometimes it's difficult to know when to push ourselves and when to let our bodies rest; I hope if you decide to go to church that you get some support. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying, "I don't really feel like being here, I need rest and yet, I'm here and I need your support". Can you ask someone from church to do the shopping for you if your daughter is unable?

A lot of times people want to help, they just don't know what to do but if you give them a specific task (like, here is my list I need someone to shop for me) they are happy to do it and feel like that's a way they can contribute to supporting you.

I hope you can get some rest and relaxation today.

I continue to pray for you and Jeff and I pray that God will give you the strength to get through each day..

Hugs & I hope today is a better day!

Guest Julia59

Jan,

I hope that you and Jeff find an anti-nausia drug that will work. Ron's brother Bill found one that worked for him and it really helped him maintain his appetite.

He was able to keep his strength and pretty much a normal life style during the whole chemo treatment. :) This was 12 years ago-------- :( ----He's now in Alaska woking one of his part time jobs to pay for his lodging for two month's.

He was in stage 4 and the docs thought he may not survive-----and here we are 12 years later. The only time he really had it rough is when they blasted him with tons of chemo for the bone marrow transplant. He came sailing through that---and now he goes to cancer support groups to tell patients not to lose hope.

Now when Bill comes over for dinner i'll make enough to serve five people----his appetite is huge. He tells us this is why he runs----because he loves to eat.

Jan, you are such a giving person---I truly believe you and Jeff will make it through this. Please hang in there for us----you have given so much to us, let us give some back. I'm only an hour away from you---remember that.

Take care,

Julie :0)