Wisdom Tooth Removal

Morrolan53

Hi, I have POTS (pretty mild right now) and asthma (also mild) and I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed soon. I'm 16. The closest to surgery I've had is getting teeth pulled under local anesthetic. I was just wondering if anyone had gone through the surgery with POTS and/or asthma and if so, what sort of precautions did you take? Did you go under general anesthetic or local or twilight? It also looks like the procedure might be done in hospital because of my asthma.

I had extractions before pots and just recently... Both with iv sedation, no epi in the local anesthetic 

I met with oral surgeon before. We took things slow and made sure I was well hydrated. She gave me a half bag of normal saline during.

I did well. Bled a bit longer than usual. Liquid diet. 

I don't have asthma... But I do have allergic reactions. I reacted to the antibiotic, so it was discontinued. 

Hope all goes well, let us know how it went.

Make sure you let your doctor know about your health issue. And u just recently had kidney stone surger and i have pots along with several other issues. I was fine, let my doctor know everything and surgery went well. Jist never get any type of local anesthetic with epinephrine as it may bother your heart like it did to me

I have asthma too and had my wisdom teeth removed.  I had the twilight sleep they use in the doctors office.  I was not diagnosed with dysautonomia at that time yet, but have had surgeries since and I just let them know.  I also react to the epi at the dentist's office and he always blamed it on anxiety and tells me to breathe through it, which never works (b/c its not anxiety).  I never even thought it could be the dysautonomia. Thanks for the tip--I will make sure to let him know that.

• 1 month later...

Update: after talking with the surgeon, they've decided to do the surgery in hospital with an anesthesiologist. This is almost certainly overkill, but I'm glad and with the various health issues, everyone agreed it would be best. As a plus, with OHIP, it's cheaper this way. The only annoying part is that there's a much longer wait time (it'll probably be 9 months or so).