Home remedies or alternative methods that help?

kalamazoo

Curious about any alternative things people use. For example doterra oils, magnesium drinks, apple cider vinegar etc. I know there's a ton of alternative healing options these days so curious if anyone uses any or have found some that work? 

Personally Ihaven't found any worth trying but I was going to try these magnesium based drink called calm or something.

I joined the Magnesium Advocacy Group on Facebook to learn more about how mag functions in the body. Due to my chronic dehydration and poor veins, I wanted to avoid a port. I found a Facebook profile called "Maggie Lister". Magnesium has completely stopped a lot of my symptoms and I have been able to reduce some of my salt intake. No leg cramps anymore! I also stopped processed foods (normally we are told to eat salty chips and ramen noodles and sugary Gatorade drinks), but this ends up adding to our toxin overload and aggravates gastro symptoms. It is a great start to learn the role of supplements and choosing the best ones. You can also go to gotmag website and read Morley Robbins posts. Hope this helps! 

Another resource for diet changes that helped me after I developed drug induced (beta-blocker induced psoriasis) was the blog named psoriasisdiary. I wish I had known then what I know now! (2 years clear of psoriasis and working full-time!) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is helpful to you or not, but I am a big believer in the benefits of tea. I tend to use hot tea for most of my day to day ailments. For example, hibiscus tea is known to lower blood pressure (definitely not good for ALL potsies!). I always have swollen lymph nodes (not sure if it's related to pots) but I use a Tumeric & ginger tea that usually calms my throat. Peppermint calms the stomach..Chamomile is great for insomnia. Dandelion root is really good for digestion! And, of course, green tea for energy. As a bonus, drinking a cup of hot tea will usually calms my non-stop migraine for at least an hour or two. 

I usually add a shot of apple cider vinegar and squeeze a bit of fresh lemon for each of their added benefits.

Hope you're having a wonderful day

I'm the queen of alternative methods of treatment. I am currently doing Field Control Therapy (FCT) and it is helping a lot. I also do Frequency Specific Microcurrent which is also wonderful! I've also done neurofeedback. I do brain exercises three times a day and a night time amygdala calming exercise. In addition I've changed my diet completely (no gluten, nuts, sugar, legumes, dairy) and I take supplements that include a magnesium drink twice a day, ALA, fish oil, neuro and O2 support for my brain and blood and liver supports. It feels like my whole day revolves around maintaining this disorder but the alternative was days in bed. The only issue I still struggle with is weight loss and inability to gain. I'm severely underweight now which worries me.

I am also obsessed with tea, i drink it all day but i found out i cant use honey anymore, what do you sweeten your tea with? And I'll have to grab some hibiscus tea, that's the only kind i don't drink right now. 

Monkey. What kind of magnesium drink do you drink? I was seriously considering taking some fish oil as well because of my high triglycerides cause by my pcos & insulin resistance but ive been vegan for so long im really not sure. How come you don't eat legumes? They're a big part of my diet

Generally I don't sweeten tea, but I usually make really strong tea (3-4 bags in a small pot) so the flavor is usually enough for me. But if I have a sore throat I do add in honey. Maybe maple syrup or molasses can work for you if you are able? Alternatively you might look into a "sugar free coffee syrup" recipe. There are many different adaptations. A simple vanilla bean syrup..maybe blackberry would be good in some teas too? Ooh. Now I have to try this. :) hope you find something you like.

I use OptiMag Neuro for my magnesium drink twice day.  

I hope to not be off legumes forever but I am for now to ensure a healed gut. Legumes are very rough on a stomach and if you have leaky gut (which leads to leaky brain) legumes make it much worse.  I'm slowly reintroducing beans so we will see if I'm ready for them. 

• 1 month later...

I loved acupuncture. It really calmed me down and relaxed me. I also get massages now periodically that also help me relax. And this might sound kind of lame but i have found crossing my arms helps with my lightheadedness.

2 hours ago, MonkeyBug said:

I also make my own bone broth which I swear heals my gut. When I stop making it and don't drink it for weeks symptoms creep back up. Back on the bone broth and everything improves again. You'd think I'd learn to no forgo it but you know how life gets....

I am in terested in trying bone broth.  There are whole restaurants dedicated to it here in NY.   But is very expensive. Do you have a good recipe?

@yogini, I'm making bone broth right now!  Just bones and water, boil and add whatever seasonings you like.  You can freeze the boiled bones and reuse them a couple times to make another batch of broth!

Tonight I'm making bone broth using 2 picked over rotisserie chicken carcasses.  Whatever seasoning is on them makes my favorite broth.  :D

Edited to add: It's easiest if you have a stock pot with a strainer insert.  Lift out the inserts with the bones and any extras, and you're done!

10 hours ago, BuffRockChick said:

@yogini, I'm making bone broth right now!  Just bones and water, boil and add whatever seasonings you like.  You can freeze the boiled bones and reuse them a couple times to make another batch of broth!

Tonight I'm making bone broth using 2 picked over rotisserie chicken carcasses.  Whatever seasoning is on them makes my favorite broth.  :D

Edited to add: It's easiest if you have a stock pot with a strainer insert.  Lift out the inserts with the bones and any extras, and you're done!

Thanks! I actually make homemade chicken soup which I guess is the same concept.

I wonder if there is some sort of tie between broth and the immune system. They always say chicken soup helps with colds, in mexico it's beef broth, in vietnam it's pho. That means multiple cultures around the world are using broth to feel better during illnesses. I wonder if this has something to do with how broth is made--usually with bones and inside bones is where the bone marrow is. The bone marrow is where white blood cells are made that fight infection. I know people say its just the salt and fluids but i wonder if there is something more to it. 

I buy bones from an organic butcher or store, and I save my veggie scraps (ends of any veggie you chop for cooking) in the freezer. When it's time to make more bone broth I add the bones, veggies and water to a crick pot (full to the top) then add 2-3 TBS of apple cider vinegar and Himalayan sea salt and pepper. Cool on low for 12-24 hours. Strain and refrigerate the broth in glass jars. I drink at least one cup per day but when my stomach is upset I have one cup before every meal. It has made a world of difference to my GI tract. 

Hi to all! I have mast cell disease and dysautonomia. Id like to enjoy the benefits of bone broth, but I cant cook meats for hours at a low temperature, in a moist environment as it creates glutamate, a trigger for mast cell paients. i wonder if soups cooked quickly, boiled and served, would be of benefit?

regards,

Ken

I buy essential oils from Rocky Mountain Oils.  My daughter has her little stash of Peppermint and the Hungarian Lavender.  The lavender is supposed to help dizziness.  She has horrible vertigo and she puts a little behind her ears and it helps some.  It's not a cure-all but it gives her meds a little boost.  The peppermint she puts on her stomach and sometimes we use it in some hot, steamy water to clear the sinuses.  It's a nice clean smell, too!  They run sales, too, so it can be affordable.  Also, for sweeteners, have you tried Agave syrup? 

• 3 years later...

Love this thread, couldn't not post in it to see if anyone else has natural, food or similar things that help? 

For me digestive stomach bloating can be helped by ginger and lemon tea and fennel seeds.  

Camomile tea can help with relaxation and nettle tea great for helping me pee better and have lower allergic reaction s.

I second @Chuske about the ginger tea and fennel seeds for bloating and indigestion from IBS. I also have found the combination of Turmeric and Black Pepper ( increases the concentration of anti-inflammatory substances of Turmeric in blood ) very helpful for chronic pain such as generalized joint pains. It works as good - if not better - than NSAIDS for me, without the side effects. 

• 1 month later...