Hydration with hyperadrenergic POTS

Likestobemom

The recommendation is there, I think, because the goal of water + salt is to raise blood volume, which in turn can raise blood pressure.  People with hyperPOTS tend to develop high BP, so doing something that could make it worse is not recommended.  BUT water+ salt can still be prescribed if your doctor thinks it will help anyway.  Also, only about 1/3 of people with regular high BP are salt-sensitive, so maybe it is not a necessary recommendation for everyone. 

Example: I have extremely high norepinepherine (NE) and blood pooling upon standing.  No tests other than the tilt table with catecholamines.  Official diagnosis is hyperandrenergic, but there is EDS type 3 in the family and my doc is not sure if I have it or not.  Hypothesis is that my body cranks out NE because my veins are too stretchy and won't respond.  Anyway, doc has me taking 8-10 grams of salt and 3-4 liters of water daily, compression hose, and clonidine (to supress my sympathetic nervous system).  It definitely helps and I have more symptoms if I forget some water/salt.  If my BP would have been raised by the salt and water, the clonidine will keep it down because it also decreases BP.

I suppose your doctor will tailor his recommendations to your specific malfunctions, and if that means extra water and salt for a hyperPOTS patient, then so be it.