disordered breathing

rje11

I have Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy and I have episodes of complete weakness, where I cannot move any part of my body.  These episodes last for hours and I have learned to just lay in bed and let them pass.  I had a new symptom last night which was a bit alarming, though.  I would gasp for a breath and then my body just felt like it "didn't need to breathe" for 20-30 seconds.  Then I would gasp for another breathe of air, but I would not breathe for quite a while at a time.  I am on oxygen therapy, so my oxygen levels were okay throughout this, although they did fluctuate some.  It was just very strange, feeling like I could lay there and just "not need to breathe".  Does this sound familiar to anyone at all?!

Thanks

Rje

39 minutes ago, rje11 said:

I have Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy and I have episodes of complete weakness, where I cannot move any part of my body.  These episodes last for hours and I have learned to just lay in bed and let them pass.  I had a new symptom last night which was a bit alarming, though.  I would gasp for a breath and then my body just felt like it "didn't need to breathe" for 20-30 seconds.  Then I would gasp for another breathe of air, but I would not breathe for quite a while at a time.  I am on oxygen therapy, so my oxygen levels were okay throughout this, although they did fluctuate some.  It was just very strange, feeling like I could lay there and just "not need to breathe".  Does this sound familiar to anyone at all?!

Thanks

Rje

Sorry to hear that, I am not familiar with your experience but I hope you get better soon

I had Steroid diabetes for a year but never faced what you said

Regards

I am advising that you call your doctor ASAP. I take oxygen for cluster headaches..I was told it was safe except in some conditions. My doctor said you can get a problem where your body is not breathing out enough ( sorry can't remember what you breathe out NO maybe??? ). Anyway your body just stops breathing because it gets a wrong signal. It can happen in people with COPD. Your body thinks it doesn't need to breathe. Please let your doctor know what happened!

Hi rje11,

You should get this checked out by a doctor. It could be a central apnea of course. But it sounds an awful lot like what many have reported on this board before. I collected many stories from people on this forum with similar experiences with "forgetting to breathe". A quick search for that term might bring up the old thread from many years ago.

We know how scary this symptom in particular can be and many of us say it's the worst one. And also we know how scary it is when you're lying there trying to sleep and you feel terrified and alone with this crazy symptom. At least you can know you're not alone in these episodes, for lack of a better term.

It comes and goes for many people I talk to. Some more frequently than others. It helps to talk to others about it and realise they've been through the same. I'll try and find the old thread later.

Hope this symptom has passed for you.

Of course you might want to get checked for a central apnea as well, but it does sound very similar even down to the way you phrased it.