Compression stockings/socks and elevated bed

JuliaMaple

Hey there everyone!
I have been thinking about trying compression socks for my low blood pressure, and against blood pressure drops when standing (and POTS). The doctor did not advice it, but I read in lots of places that its helping people. So trying cannot do a lot of harm right?
I was wondering what kind of compression stockings/socks/pants etc you guys use, and which type works the best for you? I was wondering if the socks are helpful, or is it simply not high enough? 

And another question. 

My doctor did advice me to elevate my bed (upper body) when sleeping, so that I do not sleep flat anymore. I did not do that yet because its not possible with our bed.
So I was thinking about using lots of pillows to sleep with my head lifted up higher.  I was wondering about how high I should sleep, I have no idea. 
And.. did it make a difference for you?

Much thanks in advance. :)

Hello,

I've purchased a number of compression socks and found that the knee high ones work best for me. They are athletic socks, 30-40 mmhg. The thigh high or waist high are more expensive but don't provide me any additional comfort so I stick with the cheaper knee high ones. They also work good in the summer so you're not dying from the heat.

For sleeping I purchased a wedge pillow. It was originally used for my GERD but it has done wonders for making the mornings easier. I have MCAS so the hypoallergenic material prevents all that dust which would cause me to break out in hives or sinus issues. Sometimes I prop pillows underneath or on top of the wedge depending on how I am feeling or if I need extra support for comfort. 

I have not tried knee-high socks.  My doctor recommended either waist-high at 20 - 30  mmHg compression, or thigh-high at 30 - 40 mmHg.  I have been using thigh-high, because the waistband on the others rolls down and is very uncomfortable, and you do not have to pull down the thigh-highs to use the toilet.  Also reduces the chance that I'll put a runner in them.  I also use open toe, because they are easier to get on and I have a knack for putting holes in regular stockings.  Different brands fit more comfortably than others, too.  The hose definitely helps even though I hate it.  Blood pools less in my feet and so more is in circulation where it belongs.  I do not elevate the bed.  

I use the 30-40mmhg knee high type compression stockings, they basically look like soccer socks but thinner. I do find them helpful and tend to try and wear them for at least few hours each day. Originally they started to give me a slight headache after wearing them for a while, but overtime I adjusted. I feel as though when I wear them I am getting slightly more blood to my brain, so I kind of want my brain and body to be used to that increase, hoping that when I do the little physical activity I can do, that it will give my body and brain a more normalized response.

I would start by talking to your doctor about compression hose, because you might be able to get a prescription covered by insurance.  There are all sorts of options in terms of compression and length -- and it really depends on you, your blood pressure and amount of pooling.  

I think the full body needs to be at an angle, so I am not sure that putting pillows under your head would be as helpful as tilting the whole bed.