Intranasal Light

green

If anyone has ever tried intranasal light therapy, let us know. I found some new stuff about shining light up the nose to improve autonomic function.

"Furthermore the light source in intranasal light therapy is located closer to the all-important mid-brain area where much of the autonomic functions lie, with little barrier in between the light source and the target."

" When compared to alternative methods of irradiating the brain from the outside of the cranium, the intranasal method has a distinct advantage: the concave shape of the underside of the brain envelopes the convex shape of the light beam coming off a single light source in the nasal cavity. The diencephalon (in the mid-brain area) is the seat of some of the most essential autonomic and survival functions, and holds some keys to the physical well-being of the person. This is a hard-to-reach region for light to access from outside the skull but is more easily reached from the nasal cavity, especially with longer wavelengths (that are closer to the infrared red spectrum). The hypothalamus located in this area, is the control center for many autoregulatory functions."

http://beta.asoundstrategy.com/sitemaster/userUploads/site502/Brain stimulation potential with intranasal light therapy.pdf

I am really into shining light into my brain right now. But... I'm not sure I buy this. It seems (to me) that the autonomic regions - the diencephalaon - is too far away from the nasal cavities for this to work. I've been looking into it and I don't think light can get more than a few centimeters into the brain. I can see how light might get to the underside of the frontal lobes, but it seems like a stretch to get to the hypothalamus. There's like 2 inches in the average adult between the sinus cavity and the hypothalamus. But, i don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

That's great! I'm glad to hear it. Are you experiencing sleep benefits? (that is, as I understand it, what the vielight is marketed for)

And, how far up the nostril does the vielight go? You may notice that the nostril space is pretty open, but then that space narrows considerably into the sinus passages. Does the light go up into the sinus passages?

I've rigged up my own system which consists of a red bulb that produces light ~630-650 nm, at 60 mw/cm^2, I put a kitchen funnel over it (so the bottom of the funnel faces outwards) and then push the funnel up against my nostril, so the bottom of the funnel is just matching the nostril opening. But then I wonder - should I angle the funnel more 70-85 degrees from the floor (if I were standing up with my head level), so that the light shines up into my sinus passage, or, more of a 35-45 degree angle to the floor so that the beam is angled as if tio pass right over the roof of my mouth? 

wonderful! 

Gosh, wouldn't it be great if we could beam the light energy to the hypothalamus, thalamus and brain stem? I just don't think anything can reach that far, unfortunately. But if it could it would be great to see if we could enhance autonomic function that way.