Infrared Light and Brain Fog

green

Hello All,

I just wanted to share that I'm continuing to use infrared light for brain fog. I found a light that produces energy in the 810 - 840 nm range, which is associated with good penetration of the skull. It is very powerful, non-laser light producing energy at a fluence of 200 Mw/cm^2 (that should be microwatts - not watts or mega-watts). I use it for five minutes every even day on my forehead. On odd days, I use the device on the top and sides of my head. I alternate exposure sites to give brain tissue a break from the light energy. But, I try to keep overall exposure comparable to what a human being who works in the sun during the summer for several hours with an uncovered head would receive - so that I am not taking any extraordinary risks. 

I have had good improvements in writing output, which I take to be a surrogate measure of cognitive function. But, I have to admit that I spent a lot of time (literally - four months) changing the dosage and delivery format. So it's a tough thing to do. At one point I overexposed myself and was nauseated and dizzy for several hours. On another occasion I burned my skin. 

Also - I just don't exercise so much. I really resent how little exercise I have to get to avoid post-exertional malaise the next day! I ran 3 miles yesterday and today I've been just unable to write without getting tired. Really frustrating. The light does not seem to help with this. 

Hi Green,

This is very interesting.  I'm sure it does help.  I just wanted to mention also how helpful an infrared heating pad is to me, as I'm sure others can attest to.   If you suffer with a lot of body pain, it works wonders.   If anyone does have experience with them, can you advise which is a good brand to buy?  I know the best of them, such as the Biomat, are so expensive, but would appreciate any feedback.   With using them so close to the body, a main consideration is lower EMF exposure,    Thanks.  

I don't know if anyone can advise you on infrared heating pads. I bought a cheap one off of amazon, and was underwhelmed. You know, there seem to be multiple mechanisms of action with infrared penetration of human tissue. 

One mechanism is increased blood flow due to heating causing vasodilation. This is more an issue with higher dosages and longer wavelength IR.

Another mechanism is increased NO flow. I don't know much about this - perhaps it is just part of vasodilation. 

Another mechanism is enhanced mitochondrial ATP production. This is believed to be associated with the ~600-900 nm wavelengths. It does not take a high dose to induce this effect. (This is what I aim for when I use my infrared light on my head)

Lastly, I found some new research claiming that IR light can alter water in a way that improves cellular function. I am skeptical of this.

But, the main point I have to make here is this:

(1) Vasodialation and increased NO production may not be so good for some POTS types.

(2) Increased mitrochondrial function may be good for certain kinds of POTs etiologies (don't some of us have straight-up mitochondrial dysfunction? I often wonder how the heck anyone knows this - considering how small mitochondria are...)

So, I think that you want to be careful to distinguish between low-dose NIR (near-infrared 600-900 nm wavelength) and high-dose FIR (far infrared, higher than 900 nm wavelength). You might not want to get both! You can easily get either. If you don't know what you're doing you might get both effects and they could interfere with each other. 

It's been a crap shoot, as I said earlier in the thread. And, to be honest, I'm having some tough times right now. I tried using the light at a greater distance for longer (30 minutes at a distance that should have reduced the power by a factor of 10 or 20) Sunday, and then  ran 3 miles with my roommate. So I slept 10+ hours last night and now my day is just flying by as I sit here feeling disorganized and confused. I guess, as I said, it doesn't help with post-exertional malaise.

Green, Wow, thank you for this great information, and you know, I didn't mention that in my original question, but I do have concern about using infrared heat with dysautonomia,, as any kind of heat will sometimes make things worse.   But I seem to do better with it as I am lying down while using it, and I think the problem with trying to exercise or take a hot shower is that one is usually upright.    But that is a good point for others to consider.   I guess one needs to try it to know how they react.   I only use it because of severe fibromyalgia pain, trying not to take pain medication due to effects.  I'm sorry you are feeling worse from your exercise.  I admire you just being able to run three miles, and hope you are feeling better.