School

astraboy

I'm sort of struggling in school right now and I think it's a combination between my mental illnesses and poor physical health. I am not getting treated for any of them, which sucks because not only do I have to deal with poor concentration and mood swings, but now I also have fun symptoms such as getting nauseous a lot, frequent breathing problems, fatigue, and sometimes collapsing/passing out.

I just don't know how to discuss this with my professors, because these symptoms are making it hard for me to do my homework, and I unfortunately have a lot of work to do. I can't afford treatment because all of my money goes to school payments and I only make around $200 a month if I'm lucky.

When I was in college, I had a semester where I was struggling g due to depression. I asked my professors for private meetings and I was honest with them about what was going on. All five of them worked with me to help me get through the class work. A couple extended deadlines on assignments for me, one actually excused one whole assignment (which I didn't ask for but was happy to take them up on the offer.) The two others had attendance requirements for class which they waived for me with a note from my counselor confirming my diagnosis. They just required my attendance at exams and that I turned in my assignments.  

There is no guarantee how the professors will react but what's the harm in having an honest conversation. The worst they can say is that they don't care and won't make any consessions. Or they could end up being very compassionate and find ways to help you. 

When you say that you might be blowing it out of proportion and if you tried harder, things would be better, tells me that you are trying very hard and the harder you try, the worse you are feeling.  I have a daughter like you.  Tried college for two days (1 class) and ended up in the ER.  That's how hard she tried, she put herself in the hospital.  Before that happens to you, approach your professors and ask them for 'a minute of their time to discuss some health challenges you are facing'.  Express your desire to keep up in class, but that sometimes, physically, you are not able.  Could they help you with any accommodations, some extra time allowances, etc.(you might need to be specific as to what you might need), as sometimes your body doesn't like to keep up with your mind!  You can do it!  Be brave and know that they are human too and you never know who is in their family that might have health challenges, too!

In addition to what everyone else said, you ought to go to the campus medical center and counseling center.  You may be able to get evaluated for free.  Then you will have a document to show your professors.  Your school should also have a disability services office, which coordinates services for students who need accommodations.  Depending on how the evaluations go you may be able to officially request disability accommodations.   

I second the recommendation to contact disability services. They coordinated everything for us, medical, psychological, learning issues, which affected class related accommodations and also housing accommodations.  I will say the specific problems can all be confidential if you with. Disability services just tells everyone else what accommodations to make. We have found professors very willing to help as long as they know there's a need.

I have gone to the disability offices before and the only accommodation I have is extra testing time. I remember try to get other accommodations but I needed another letter from my psych. Now I don't see my psych anymore, so I can't get a letter.

It would be nice if I didn't have to be a full time student, but unfortunately that's the only way for me to get financial aid.

I think I might go to the counselors though.

If you have a physical diagnosis, like dysautonomia, disability services can help with that. But, it's true you will need a letter from a doctor.

Sometimes we found the doctors we liked the most refused to write letters, while doctors we only met once wrote great letters.

Is there a clinic on campus you can go to? Free counselors on campus?