What causes night shakes

gertie

I've posted on this subject before but every time I have an episode I run here for support.  I still don't understand what causes it. I woke up, went to bathroom, by the time I got back to bed I was cold & shaking, teeth chattering, couldn't control myself.  I reached for part of an Ativan which is usually enough to calm me down but that didn't slow it.  I took another half Ativan & finally started getting warm & it slow & finally stopped. 

Is it anxiety?  I have been obsessing about a dental appointment I have that I dread & wonder how I will ever get through it with any dignity. I've taken Ativan now I don't know if I'll be able to handle my seizure med without being too sedated.  I don't like to take the 2 drugs at same time.

Thanks for listening.

Gertie,

I don't know the official cause of this, but a lot of pots patients suffer from what is called night tremors. My theory is that it's adrenaline surges. I used to wake up trembling, sweaty (and not to be too graphic, but I mean drenched), then I'd layer because I would then be freezing. Terrible. This cycle definitely added to my insomnia. So sorry your going through something similar as well.

what helped me is clonidine. Its a Bp lowering agent that blocks norepinephrine (adrenaline) and can also cause drowsiness so its sometimes used for sleep. Since increasing my dose on this, I haven't had any night tremors. Its great, and my sleep has improved a great deal. Take care.

Oh I forgot to add this above, sorry. I also have a seizure disorder. Majority of medications didn't control the seizures, so they considered it refractory seizures. I had a great deal of anxiety about having another seizure. I was fortunate that I made my way to the Cleveland Clinic for consults and treatment. They were able to correctly diagnose and start me on the correct meds. I haven't had a seizure since Dec. 2014.  The seizure med I'm on is Fycompa, it's new. 

Funny that you should mention this.   I notice an odd what I call an "internal shaking" both while falling asleep and especially upon awakening.  I don't think it is caused by anxiety, due to the times it is occurring.  I too have wondered if this is due to dysautonomia.   I am sorry for you suffering with seizure disorder as well, complicating the picture.   I don't have seizure, but was diagnosed with polyneuropathy and have restless leg syndrome, so it could be related to that; wondering if you have neuropathy issues possibly causing it?   I think you are correct in maybe associating it to adrenaline, as sometimes in the early morning hours if I awake with this, it will also be accompanied by an intense panic feeling for no reason.   Have you ever taken your pulse during these times?  Usually you would think it would be high if it is an "adrenaline rush," but I have just discovered  after one of these spells and being curious, that my pulse is lower during the overnight time prior to awakening, like mid-40's to low 50's.   So maybe it is a low blood flow issue?  I think with dysautonomia too, after you have been lying down all night and sleeping, just the effort to get up and get to the bathroom can be "upsetting."   Separate from the shaking too, all during the winter and fall I notice what I call "chills," but they are not really frank chills.  It is more a feeling of coldness and paresthesias shooting throughout the arms and legs.   I don't think it is strictly weather-related, as the house is not cold at the time, but I suppose it could be since I don't notice this as much during the summer months.   Again, maybe a problem with reduced blood flow issues.   Curious if anyone else notices that consistently?  Certainly not glad that you have this issue, but interesting to know, again, that we are not alone!  Good luck.  

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I go a bit weird when it comes to sleep with wakefulness, sudden awakening, heart pounding, nausea, sweating and feeling very unwell.I also get jerking, sleep paralysis, sleepwalking and night terrors. They are get worse when I am stressed. I know of some people who get seizures linked to the EDS, POTS. Chiari and all the all stuff.