EDS and MCAS

Katybug

Just thought I'd mention this as I found it interesting and maybe another piece of the puzzle on the horizon.....

At my immunology appt today, my doc had a new resident shadowing him. (Love it when new young docs get to learn about our rare diseases so future patients get better care! Yay!) When we were discussing my MCAS, he turned and explained to her that I have EDS (which she was familiar with! Yay, again!). He went on to tell her that there's a new theory being tossed around that the link between EDS and MCAS may be that the EDS makes the mast cells more delicate and therefore more unstable/easier to degranulate.

I don't have any references (yet) but thought it was an interesting tidbit and would finally explain the link between these 2 rare diagnoses if they can verify the theory. I'm just happy they have a theory, because this is the first time in 5 years I've heard any theory on this at all.