The day after exercising

Does anyone else get a weird rebound effect the day after exercising?

Last night I did some weight lifting along with some extra cardio biking. I didn't push myself too far since I was fine afterwards when I made a protein shake and got in bed to relax for the night.

This morning I woke up feeling great, took my salt pills as usual with some electrolyte drink (skratch labs) and went about my morning doing the dishes and working from home.

All of a sudden out of nowhere my heart went up to 130 and I started getting my usual POTS symptoms so I had to get back in bed and calm myself down with a beta blocker. I don't take the beta blocker everyday, only as needed and I haven't needed it since last Wednesday.

I've noticed a trend now after having POTS for months and it seems like after every exercise night I have horrible symptoms the next day.

Not bad, the beta blocker definitely takes the edge off but leaves me feeling pretty loopy in bed. It must of been some excess adrenaline too because once I calmed down it was shaking quite a bit for some time after. Now I'm exhausted and I haven't even left my room all day! blah.

Yes, this was a very big issue for me.  In my case, when I started monitoring my heart rate during exercise, I found that it was going too high and not calming down enough after.  Then I would have bouts of tachycardia and have to stay in bed.  I also got migraines for days after exercising.

A few things helped me with this - first warming up and cooling down to ease into exercise.  I also started wearing compression hose when riding the bike - this kept my HR down.  And then finally I realized that cardio wasn't really for me - I switched to yoga, which is much gentler for my body and helped me recover from POTS.   

• 2 months later...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I wrote a post about this problem earlier this year...

To overcome this weird rebound effect, I focus on strength training with my personal trainer and don't let my heart rate get too high. A high intensity cardio workout will always set it off. I feel great whilst exercising but that night or a day later when I'm at rest my body will go berserk. It's very weird.

Don't give up on exercise though because I feel better for it. My POTs flare ups have been less severe since building muscle especially in my legs.