Fainting after surgery- thoughts?

I had foot and ankle surgery on Friday morning. I felt fine the rest of the day, but when I got up Saturday morning, I didn't make it 20ft before I fainted. I have POTS and Pure Autonomic Failure. A long time ago they also mentioned adrenal insufficiency, but seem to have dropped that as of late. When I was on the floor after fainting, unable to get up, my mom checked my bp, but couldn't find one. Normally, with all of my meds, I do have a detectable bp supine. I have had this problem before and they used to give me solumedrol  (sp?) for surgeries, but it seems like they just forgot it was a problem. Does this happen to anybody else? Do you get steroids before, during or after surgeries? Who prescribes this?

I didn't go to my local ER because I have struck out with them in the past on multiple occasions. It was so bad I couldn't even sit up. That NEVER happens. I ended up taking a prednisone that was left over from an old prescription and calling my cardiologist on Monday morning. (My cardiologist is out of state because I can't find anyone local who claims more than, "I've heard of it" when asked about PAF).

By Sunday things were fine. Wish I could say the same for the stool I broke when I fainted.? 

My BP runs low after surgery. Also, pain meds may also lower your bp if you are taking them post-surgery. 

I am living on a low dose of hydrocortisone and prednisone as I can barely function without it. One thing that happens without it is my bp tanks. So, I haven't been prescribed just for surgery but for the long term. 

I have an endocrinologist  that actually works with several of my POTS neuro's patients. He says sluggish adrenal function is common in the POTS patients he sees.

Hope things continue to improve. 

Katie 

I don't do well with surgery either, but think it's the type of anesthectics that causes problems. The last time I had surgery under full anesthesia I got 5 eadrenalin injections because my bp kept tanking. When I had foot surgery two years ago I chose to have a popliteal block which worked well and didn't work on bp for me.

Kiminorlando - I haven't had any recent surgeries but even for colonoscopy they have MACK anesthesia in the room and do lots of extra fluids to avoid the low BP issues. My neuro now has a therapy plan on file with the local hospital so if I get in trouble with my BP I can go in for IV fluids. I wonder if something like this would help? They pretty much have told me to avoid ER as unfortunately most ERs don't know what to do with 'us'.

kaitlyn