Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goschi

Pulsatile Tinnitus

Hi, everybody!

Maybe this question might sound a bit strange - but the more time passes, the more I get the imagination that there could possibly be a connection to POTS:

For more than 3 years I have a so called "pulsatile tinnitus", meaning that I can hear my pulse "wooshing" in my left ear. 

Does anybody have this...? And could there be a possible connection to POTs

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I have constant tinnitus, actually all my life. When my tachycardia gets bad, I'm short of breath, or am overheated, it becomes pulsating. I think it's fairly common with POTS.

Thanky you so much for your reply , Katybug! I am very sorry to hear that you are affected with this too..

However, I am not so sure, if we actually have the same thing. I never had (and don't have now) "classical" tinnitus with "ringing" in the ears and the like.

I simply hear my pulse wooshing in my left ear - 24/7. The severity doesn't change with the Intensity of my Pots symptoms. Nevertheless, for me it feels somehow "connected".

And I read on the net, that pulsatile tinnitus ALWAYS has a physiological cause... 

I have experienced the ringing in ears type of tinnitus, and a few times the "wooshing" type, typically on more symptomatic days, but I associated it more with my migraines than POTS.

Yes, this is a pretty common symptom of POTS - both ringing in the ears and hearing and/or feeling your pulse.

I have had tinnitus for about 20 years, and it preceded POTS.  Mine is not pulsatile.  You might want to read up on SCDS, or Superior Canal Dehiscence.  It is a small hole in the bone in the ear. One of its prominent symptoms is hearing your heart beat, along with other bodily noises, in your ear.  More than likely you don't have it as it is rare, but who knows.  At least you will be aware of one of the possibilities.  But, like others said, it could def be related to POTS.  But, being in one ear only makes me think not.

I also had ringing in the ear before POTS.  It can be caused by other things - like allergies.  But I started getting increased sounds in the ear with POTS - pulsing, ringing, crunchy noises. It can be in one ear for me or both.  I went to an ear dr at one point.  It probably doesn't hurt to do this to be safe.

I have POTS and have pulsatile tinnitus. I been trying to find out the cause. But the pulsatile tinnitus started a month after I was diagnosed with POTS so it may be related. All other test have been normal. I go for one more test this coming Tuesday. But so far the MRA, carotid doppler, CT scan of brain are all normal.

I get the "whooshing pulse" sound in my ears.  In fact, I'm getting it now. I'm guessing it's related to the POTS, because I don't recall hearing this before. I do recall hearing straight-out "whooshing" from the time I was little and if I was in a quiet place, but the pulsing is a new thing.

I have this as well. Sometimes I get it strongly in my right ear when standing up, and other times when I put my head in differnet positions such as looking down. It comes and goes for me and isn't constant. When I was younger I remember I would get it when laying down in my bed to go to sleep. Never thought much of it other than it being annoying. Now there is a correlation with it being associated with higher intercranial pressure and possibly CCSVI as a lot of people who have that also report pulsatile tinnitus. Funny enough many people who have POTS also have CCSVI and higher intercranial pressure - but of course not everyone does. 

Yes. I frequently get an ocean sound in one ear. And when I am reacting to food (I have MCAD) I actually get itchy inner ears and a high pitched loud ringing in both. 

I've had some form of tinnitus for as long as I can remember.   In my childhood it was an occasional high-pitch ringing and I'd get the pulsatile whooshing at times, usually when I'm not feeling well.  A few years back after taking vancomycin, the ringing became worse and constant in both ears, with my right ear being worse.  I now have the constant sound of a jet engine whine in that ear.   I still get the pulsatile when I'm not feeling good.