Long Time Florinef Use and Paradox Effects

Hi All ? 

I have suffered with Pots since 2008 and diagnosed and medicated in 2011 with Florinef. Just in the last month I have had a severe relapse which has bedridden me. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what may be causing it. Most of my symptoms are similar to POTS but I have new ones like extreme muscle weakness, drowsiness like being tranqued, vertigo episodes etc.. I also have what I think may be pelvic congestion. I have tried upping my med doses and its not helping like it usually does. Has anyone had Florinef especially go from being positive to negatively affecting their POTS? 

I've been on florinef, as well as replacement glucocorticosteroid for many years due to having Addison's. In 2007 I suddenly developed what I now believe to be severe POTS symptoms that included passing out, once while I was driving. After unsuccessfully trying to find out what the underlying problem was, an electrolyte panel finally showed a low sodium. My PCP decided to up my florinef dose, which helped all of the POTS symptoms I was having, including the syncope. A POTS diagnosis was never entertained at that time. It was assumed my mineralocorticoid levels weren't sufficiently replaced for my Addison's. I had waxing and waning of POTS symptoms over the next few years, even though it was never as bad as the symptoms in 2007. Then the day I went to divorce court in 2013, my right ankle swelled. Quite abruptly on this one day, I also started having severe POTS symptoms and lost about 25 lbs over the next two months. My entire right leg and upper pelvic/lower abdomen area swelled significantly within a few months and I was eventually diagnosed with RSD/CRPS and POTS. My POTS symptoms were quite severe and have never improved much since then no matter what drugs I try, increasing florinef included. I have since also been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and gastroparesis.

So yes, I suppose I'm someone for whom increased doses of florinef worked somewhat for a while but eventually failed to control my POTS symptoms. I can't say it's negatively affected my POTS symptoms. 

Hi Brethor9 - sorry to hear you're feeling so much worse.

Did anything in particular happen right before the flare? Travel? Motion? Flu? Just wondering about a trigger. I know a simple cold can knock me back and tank my blood pressure, literally for months.

Another thought ... And it's just a thought but I'm wondering if you've had any headaches? Migraine disorders often go hand in hand with Dysautonomia. 

As far as Florinef I tried it but had an allergic response: headaches, insomnia, nausea, increased tremor and so cranky I couldn't stand myself. And that was after 4 days of 1/2 tab.

i hope you get some answers soon and feel better!

kaitlyn