Coconut oil Nauseous/ Combatting POTS with super diet?

So, Im trying some oil pulling for my teeth made me a little nauseous, kinda get worried about stuff like this.

Like a bad reaction or something, but its not that bad, i just get paranoid, anyone know if coconut oil can harm you? barring being allergic which im not as far as i know, ive had it in meals and stuff, btu when i do this oil pulling its like a fair amount may have used a little too much, it seems to make nauseous a little.

Also I read the deliciously ella book, in which she says eating vegan/unprocessed food, turned her life around, can anyone attest to this, and its kinda hard for me to do that coz i dont go out much now, and my mom wont buy the stuff its too much effort for her.

I've never tried her diet, though I will say that I went gluten free for a year and did notice my pots and headache symptoms were  a lot better.  My energy was improved, I wasn't healed just better.  So I would say that we poties tend to have sensitive systems so any change can alter us for better or worse.  Good luck!

Hi joshrandall

I'm not sure about the coconut oil pulling. I haven't tried that but do use coconut oil. Maybe it was too rich? 

I was on a diet similar to Ella's and when I discovered her it helped with knowing what to have and enhanced my recipes. I dropped gluten, already vegan, no sugar or processed and low carbs. Didn't feel much different and still had gut issues. Then cottoned onto the fact that I may have Mast Cell Activation and or histamine intolerance and have followed Yasmina's dietary advice since. My gut is a lot calmer and that helps no end as I feel less yucky. My weight is also coming down which helps as I put on a lot of weight. 

All the best

Trish 

• 2 weeks later...

Coconut is an antimicrobial and can kill bad bacteria. You may be detoxing. Some however can be sensitive to coconut. 

Yes, becoming vegan saved my life - literly. I reversed stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease by doing it. POTS and MCAS are both much improved. 

Issie

I have heard that coconut oil makes some people nauseous, and not just POTS people. I regularly listen to The Paleo Women podcast, and one of the hosts has this issue. She had a hypothesis about the cause, but I can't quite remember--something about the structure of the fats, perhaps. You are not alone! 

I've read a few interviews with D Ella and while her diet is obviously super healthy and therefore a good thing for most people, it's worth noting that she admits to a particularly bad diet beforehand (mostly bagels, burgers and sugar) and that, she was on meds, plus a gradual exercise programme as well.  According to the interview I read with her last week it took her 18 months to wean off her meds and two years before she felt healthy.  So it's still a long, drawn out process to recovery and then, realistically it's still all about symptom management.  I think some people (including me at first) jumped on her initial press stuff and thought she was advertising a 'cure', but it's not a cure, it's just something that will/might help some people to manage their condition.

"Getting better was a slow process.  It took just over 18 months to come off my medication and just over two years to feel normal.  And it's still a case of managing my symptoms.  I eat this way because I love it, but also because I have to." (UK magazine Good Housekeeping July 2016 issue)

Personally, I have found eating a low carb/low sugar diet helped increase my energy levels.  I wasn't particularly doing it to treat my health issues, but because I wanted to lose the weight I've gained from being immobile/low activity for so long and work myself back up into regular exercise.  It took a couple of weeks to feel the benefits, but once I was fully in ketosis I had more energy than I've had in years.  It didn't get rid of my pots symptoms, but I felt less exhausted and more able to face the things I had to get done.  Unfortunately I broke the diet for a big celebration and will now have to go back through the dreaded ketosis flu to reach the same point.