Insomnia

Does anyone else struggle with insomnia at night? Mine isn't too bad but it's a little frustrating when I purposely go to bed early only to find myself unable to fall asleep for another hour and a half. Let me know what your thoughts are or what to do to sort of minimize this problem. Thanks!

Hi Tachy Matt,

This is a common issue for dysautonomia patients.  There was even a study of POTS patients that showed a phenomenon called Alpha Delta Sleep Syndrome. I'll see if I can find it and link it.

I find that 3 things help me (two of which are unconventional):

1) My body needs a minimum of an hour, often linger, to be in bed winding down before I can sleep.

2) Against all sleep hygiene advice, I need to either put on a movie that I have watched so many times I can recite the lines. It seems like enough to distract my mind from racing with thoughts, yet, because I know what's going to happen I don't subconsciously stay up to see how it ends. The alternative is to turn on soothing instrumental music....no lyrics to sing along with. It accomplishes the same thing for me.

3) On really desperate nights (3-4 hrs after laying down), I will try a 1/3 of a cup of 1/2 caff coffee with lots of cream. This very tiny amount of caffeineseems to actually have a paradoxical effect on me and I fall asleep almost immediately. Again, that is a completely unconventional approach.

I find the more fatigued I feel the harder it is to sleep . I have found meditation and  breathing exercises have helped me especially on the nights my heart is pounding in my head. If I still can't sleep I will get up and do something for half an hour and that seems to distract my racing thoughts . 

I'm a chronic insomniac--haven't slept thought the night for over 30 years. Can't fall asleep and once I do, I'm up several times and sometimes for several hours at a time. Sometimes I just get 2-3 hours of sleep, sometimes 5, one in a very great while 7.  Then I do the happy dance.  I haven't found anything helpful (Melatonin, chamomile, deep breathing, warm bath, counting sheep, reading, crossword puzzles, weighted blanket, sound machine, ear plugs, etc. etc. etc.) other than like Katybug said, putting on some show I've watched a million times.  Thanks for the heads up on Alpha Delta Syndrome--I haven't heard of that before and will look into that.  I've been reluctant to do a sleep study b/c the doctors that believe in dysautonomia blame everything on that and the ones that don't blame it on anxiety.  I don't think I have anxiety except as related to the frustration regarding this diagnosis and the lack of professional help. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had chronic insomnia as well. Always been a struggle for me.  I have tried numerous sleep medicines, and Ambien and Remeron are the 2 that work for me. I like Remeron more, because with Ambien, my tolerance built up to fast and I did a lot weird stuff in my sleep (bad side effect!!!). With Remeron, I sleep nicely for 10 hours, and actually wake up feeling refreshed for once. Feels nice. 

Remeron (an atypical antidepressants) has been highly effective at a very low dose for me: 7.5 mg taken 2X night  (I will wake up at least once). Apparently it works better for insomnia at a low dose.  However, I gained 12 lbs. In one month!  It makes me ravenous.. It also apparently slows metabolism...for I've controlled my eating and have not lost a ounce in the past  two months.  I meet with my doc this week to discuss low-dose trazadone (an old-school SSRI) as a substitute.