Making Salt Intake Palatable For A Child

MommaHelen

Canned soups are generally high sodium. It might be a good option for a toddler. Or make your own soup and add the salt to that if you want to measure exactly what she's getting. Also, maybe puree watermelon and add the salt to that (apparently salt on watermelon is a Baltimore thing that many have not heard of but it is quite good.) I sprinkle salt on my watermelon chunks. Peanut butter also hides salt fairly well.

I've found that If you try to combine high sodium foods together you can get a higher Intake without having to smother everything in salt. Tomato products like marinara sauce or salsa have a lot of sodium. Deli meats and bread together to make a sandwich have a lot plus a slice of cheese, and pickles if she'll eat those add more. Breads and cereals like Raisin Bran or granola too. She may not eat them, but Asian style sauces like soy, pad Thai or curry have a lot. I try to mix them with something like fresh veggies. Hummus with pita chips or corn chips. Frozen foods tend to have a high sodium count too. Does she like Gatorade? I add salt to the lemon lime flavor and it hides the taste. I know it's hard with a toddler because they need milk and nutritious food as much as possible. I try to combine the high sodium stuff with veggies and fruit to balance it out so I don't load up on junk or fast food. Good luck.

Does she like Lipton noodle soup? When I was putting two and two together with my older teenage daughters, the one thing that I noticed a difference in was that my youngest daughter was eating noodle soup by the gallons and my older one does not like it. My younger one was also improving. It was the soup! The difference in the salt intake. My youngest was just coming off of her second feeding tube and could only tolerate the soup at the time. She still eats a lot of pasta as meat doesn't sound good to her anymore and the pasta is her carrier of salt. Parmesan cheese is also high in salt. I cook some rotini for my daughter, she sprinkles it with cheese (lightly, so that it doesn't set like a ton of bricks) and the sprinkles liberally with salt at the table.

Katybug - I love salt on watermelon! That's how we used to eat it when I was a kid (not just a Baltimore thing!). Don't you miss those great big watermelons with the big black seeds? They were so sweet! Can't find them anymore.