Is There A Difference Between Hyper Pots And Anxiety Disorders

Kris4444

My cathecolamine testing came back and I have high dopamine and norepinephrine. My doctor said it was due to autonomic hyperactivity and not an adrenal tumor. When I did a search on autonomic hyperactivity, a lot of anxiety info popped up. When you compare the two, they are very similar. I wondered what the differences are?

My tilt table was abnormal with a drop in my blood pressure and a continued rise in my heart rate on standing. My valsalva was also abnormal with the same sort of resutls, drop in pressure, raise in heart rate. My doctor said that I flushed on and off during our entire visit. Would these results be similar if one was suffering from an anxiety disorder?

I do not believe that I have an anxiety disorder and I don't think my doctor is suggesting that either. He prescribed a beta blocker which seems to be helping when I exercise or ride my horse. I am concerned though because I have a flushing disorder which may be mast cell related so I'm not sure a beta blocker is the right drug for me.

I'm curious to know what the difference is between Hyper Pots and anxiety. Thanks in advance for any info.

-Kris

I think that people who have hyper pots may also suffer from anxiety disorders, I would venture to say that anxiety disorders do not cause orthostatic hypotension, digestive issues, temperature regulation problems, or any of the physical problems more closely associated with the autonomic nervous system. That being said I have both POTS and generalized anxiety/ panic disorder, and notice that with the POTS whenever I'm anxious now its not just that I feel that way emotionally; my hr takes a long time to calm down even as I begin to feel more relaxed. I think if you have an anxiety disorder POTS just makes it worse, and can also mimic many of the symptoms, like hr increase, nausea, sweaty palms but it seems like POTS brings things to a higher level of dysfunction. Sometimes when I feel really anxious with POTS it's like my brain has a hard time relaxing and talking, and i almost feel jittery in a way, which I never felt prior to my POTS getting worse.

I had my catecholamines retested and my doctor said that my dopamine and norepinephrine are still high. I also had an abnormal TTT and valsalva. He said the cathecholamines were high due to autonomic hyperactivity not an adrenal tumor. When I googled autonomic hyperactivity anxiety disorders popped up. I was surprised how much they have in common. It got me thinking.

Psychological anxiety is triggered by what's going on in your mind, but it creates physical symptoms that are the same as hyperandrenergic POTS symptoms. In both cases you end up with high NE and dopamine and the associated physical symptoms, but the root cause is very different.

This is not the definitive answer you're looking for but I'm fairly certain I have hyperandronergic pots. I go to qEEG based neuro feedback training and have had three brain mappings done periodically to determine the best settings for my training. The last brain mapping showed I was normal in all emotional aspects but my disease centers in my brain, such as the areas controlling POTS symptoms, were worse. I had to work really hard to become and maintain normal emotional status given my situation but my results do indicate there's a difference between hyper pots and anxiety disorders. I think I could become anxious again, but I believe it would be the result of the disease. It's like a battle I have to keep fighting. I hope that helps.

Thank you toomanyproblems!

You're very welcome. I should've added, I definitely have POTS, I just don't know what kind. My drs want me to to go to Cleveland Clinic for a thorough work up but I'm just not strong enough to make the trip, aside from the costs and inconvenience. I wish someone would just draw a standing norepinephrine level. That would be enough diagnostics for me. At this point I'm more about what helps and less about specific diagnosis.