What Is An Unsafe Heart Rate Level?

DizzyGirls

So, my daughter is still tachy and no doctor is calling me back. I've put several calls in to her neuro and I talked to one nurse, but she said that I ought to talk to the one that was there at our appointment. They are superb while you are there, but as soon as you leave, I guess they assume someone close to home will manage your symptoms. I wouldn't have traveled that far if there was someone close to home! My daughter's PCP won't touch it with a ten foot pole! She's still having trouble with a kidney/bladder/maybe kidney stone issue and it's making her Dysautonomia really bad.

My question is this: Is there a number that your heart rate should absolutely not go beyond before you need to be concerned enough to go to the ER. (Daughter's is between 100-119 at different times of day). I know that's a question for my doctor and when and if he decides to call me back, I'll ask him. For now, though, is there a number any of you have been given by your doctor? My daughter is little, about 5'4" and about 115 pounds, if that matters. We do have an appointment next week at the new autonomic clinic at UCSF, so I'm hoping she can hold out for that. One of the doctors we are seeing is a cardiologist.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry you and your daughter are going through this hardship, I hope you are blessed to find some resolution with her drs.

My heart rate before I started ivabradine wold frequently average 110+. I know that for me higher heart rate combined with something else going on ie infection, injury, it tends to be indicative of hypovolemia. At that point if I can't get my heart rate down with more fluids and salt it usually lands me in the ER for IV fluids.

My Dr has never given me a specific number to watch for. Usually His response to my calling and saying my heart rate is averaging higher is to ask what other symptoms I'm having.

Again sorry your having a rough time, you will be in my prayers.

When I asked this question of my cardiologist recently, he told me "it doesn't matter what your heart rate gets up to, only that it comes down into a 'normal' range with rest."My active HR can get well above what my "predicted max (200-age)" with exercise, but returns to my "normal" afterwards. I've also been worked up and worked over by numerous doctors, so they are pretty sure that i don't have "heart issues."

Ask your/her doctor.

As everyone above has stated if rest, hydration and increased salt brings it below 100 most doctors consider it good. From what I understand- the number was never as relevent as the lack of symptoms or types of symptoms with high heart rate. I feel horrible with pounding HR when I am in the low 100's because my resting is between 48-62 but my doctor is not concerned. Most doctors and ER's will get concerned with HR closer to 200 that does not go down with rest-just FYI...symptoms of chest pain, Shortness of breath, pain going down an arm or between shoulder blades, sweating, nausea,pain going up to jaw-with a HR over 150-160 should be addressed IF it does not go away with rest-and sometimes even when it does-a call to the doctor just to notify them is a good idea. It does matter more of course if you have heart problems and ANY high HR with symptoms must be addressed with a doctor.

When in doubt-call

Hope this helps

Debbie

I don't know if it helps but I have found some things that make me tachy. They may not be the same for your daughter but maybe it will help so I thought I'd share. Any gluten and any chemically made vitamins specially b vitamins and folic acid. Also occasionally msg. I can't take any multi vitamins and don't take supplements, just do better without them. The max hr for my age is 180 so I try not to go past that when I excersize. I've read it's 220 minus your age.

My HR ranges anywhere from 115 to 160 while upright on a 21 day event monitor and no one ever told me to go to the ER.

I do think what Firewater said is sensible.

And, I also think that you have to trust your daughter and your own senses that if you feel like something is wrong and needs emergent care, you have to act on that. It's always better safe than sorry until you can figure out what is "normal" for her. (Which is not to say that's "normal" in a healthy patient.) I try not to go to the ER but on the couple of occasions when I have gone, it's because my instincts told me something was really acutely wrong and I was right. (They happen to not be dysautonomia related.)

So, my daughter is still tachy and no doctor is calling me back. I've put several calls in to her neuro and I talked to one nurse, but she said that I ought to talk to the one that was there at our appointment. They are superb while you are there, but as soon as you leave, I guess they assume someone close to home will manage your symptoms. I wouldn't have traveled that far if there was someone close to home! My daughter's PCP won't touch it with a ten foot pole! She's still having trouble with a kidney/bladder/maybe kidney stone issue and it's making her Dysautonomia really bad.

My question is this: Is there a number that your heart rate should absolutely not go beyond before you need to be concerned enough to go to the ER. (Daughter's is between 100-119 at different times of day). I know that's a question for my doctor and when and if he decides to call me back, I'll ask him. For now, though, is there a number any of you have been given by your doctor? My daughter is little, about 5'4" and about 115 pounds, if that matters. We do have an appointment next week at the new autonomic clinic at UCSF, so I'm hoping she can hold out for that. One of the doctors we are seeing is a cardiologist.

Thanks for your help!

My cardiologist never gave me any guidelines for heart rate either - even when there was times I was up to 120ish lying down I would just get told well that's POTS and as long as there isn't anything underlying that is sinister (which there wasn't) not to worry about it. I attempted the Levine protocol for a little and my maximal steady rate that was personally worked out for me because my heart rate was so high in general (even when lying down) was 170-175 which I was supposed to keep up for 25 minute blocks on the rowing machine on certain days throughout the schedule). Regardless there was times that I would hit 150 just standing from my bed and others where it would randomly run to 180ish out of the blue. However at these times when he did hit this and wouldn't go down id beg to be taken to the ER because it's a horrible horrible feeling and in that moment you really do think something terrible is going to happen. Regardless distinguishing those symptoms from anything serious that could be life-threatening always confused me because a lot of the symptoms would overlap, especially chest pain, shortness of breath etc. and generally just that feeling that I am sure your daughter is aware of that this can't possibly be normal. However every single time I would just be placed on an IV drip and it would come back down over time, and then I'd just get told the infamous 'well that's POTS that's supposed to happen' which still infuriate me to this day... Because if something non-POTS was happening to me that would require the ER to a normal person how would I beable to tell the difference .. Which lead me to feel quite the hypochondriac! But maybe that's because it's not got quite as much awareness in the UK?

Thank you all for your responses! I'm feeling better about all of this! When her vision starts blurring and her arm starts going numb and her head feels like it's going to explode, I know this is too high!. Her heart rate is really random in that it is high just sitting doing nothing, even when she just wakes up in the morning! But, she's been taking her bp and hr a lot and it just fluctuates. Not really any rhyme or reason. We do have an appt with a cardiologist this next week, so here's hoping that she can make it to the appointment and that he can help! I'll let you know what he says. Still makes me mad that not one doctor has bothered to call back this week. Glad to have all of you! :P:D:lol:

Thank you all for your responses! I'm feeling better about all of this! When her vision starts blurring and her arm starts going numb and her head feels like it's going to explode, I know this is too high!. Her heart rate is really random in that it is high just sitting doing nothing, even when she just wakes up in the morning! But, she's been taking her bp and hr a lot and it just fluctuates. Not really any rhyme or reason. We do have an appt with a cardiologist this next week, so here's hoping that she can make it to the appointment and that he can help! I'll let you know what he says. Still makes me mad that not one doctor has bothered to call back this week. Glad to have all of you! :P:D:lol:

Please don't think that she is alone in her crazy heart rate aha! Definitely have a high resting pulse no matter what I'm doing even now I'm doing a lot better! You'll know when she's doing better when the urge to check your bp and heart rate stops! The slightest change in how I felt and id want to know and even that in itself can be exhausting! Wishing you all the best of luck to you and your daughter and hope you get some answers soon!