Quercetin For Part Of Mcas Treatment Plan?

Katybug

I have been considering trying Quercetin as part of my MCAS treatment plan for a long time. I came across some information tonight that has brought it back up in my thoughts.

Has anyone taken it with success? Do you know of any concerns? Did you take it alone or in a supplement that included Bromelain? Do you happen to take one that does not have rice as an ingredient (I'm allergic to rice and yes I know that's weird.) :-)

Thanks!

I took it for awhile. I was never officially diagnosed with MCAS though, all of my tests have been consistently negative. Some doctors feel I have some form of it, others say I don't. So I don't know if I'm the best judge of its efficacy. However, I had at one point uncovered some research that said it functioned comparatively - or better than - drugs like Cromolyn, so I tried it just to see..

The nice thing was, I didn't react badly to it, at all. I had no side effects whatsoever, which is amazing, because I react badly to all antihistamines, H2 blockers, Cromolyn almost put me in the hospital, and so on. I react to almost everything I put in my body, whether it's a medication or a supplement. So being able to take Quercitin was really nice.

There were some days I felt it really helped my symptoms, especially vasodilation and allergy-type symptoms, and there were other days where I felt it really didn't do anything. Really hit or miss for me. But again, we're not 100% sure I have Mast Cell to begin with...

My spouse has horrific allergies and uses it for that, says it works wonders for allergic symptoms - better than any antihistamine.

You know, I'm not 100% sure, but I do not think it's rice based. It's Jarrow Formulas, 500mg, and according to Jarrow it is the anhydrous form, which I think is different from the rice-based? But there's really no other info on the bottle, so I'm not completely sure. I noticed on Amazon someone asked if it was from rice-based ceramide, and another user had replied that it is not, that the anhydrous form is different. The ingredient list includes Quercetin 500mg, cellulose, magnesium stearate, and silicone dioxide. Apparently you can contact Jarrow through their website to get info on the source(s) of their products.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Katy :) I have taken Jarrow brand quercetin with bromelain during allergy season. It was recommended by my dietitian to reduce my histamine load. I believe it helped, but it was subtle. I believe my daily Zyrtec and Singulair helped the most during the peak of the season (also spot treating with Benadryl or hydroxyzine occasionally). I had no side effects and will probably take it again this allergy season.

• 4 months later...

Katy, I wanted to follow up on this because I discovered something new! A friend of mine told me that quercetin is much more effective in an oil-based formula, because it's oil-soluble. Apparently there is a brand that comes this way but it's really expensive. So she said that she just breaks open the capsule and dissolves it in oil. Well, I tried this just mixing it with a little olive oil. I have done this for my last three doses (day and a half) and I am noticing a big difference! My neck has almost stopped itching and my nasal congestion is much better, and this in a week where my pollen allergies have been uncontrolled with even an extra dose of my antihistamine. Thought I'd let you know, since it's an easy fix.

Thanks for this new information, Nymph! I've had some other medical issues come up so trying the quercetin has been put on the back burner, but I still have it on my pending list. This information is helpful!

And, I'm glad you are getting some relief!

Edited by Katybug