pins &needled in hands&feet

lisamac

hello , I was just wonder if anyone could help me out . My son who is 6 has been complaining about his hands and feet this week. Last sunday he woke up and could barely walk and was very pale and grey . He said that he had the wiggles in his hands and feet . He couldn't even squeeze my fingers. That day he slept on and off all day, then began to vomitt .So we thought maybe he just had the flu.

Yesterday morning he woke up with the wiggles again . His colour was not to bad and he felt better within a few hours . Now today he came home from school and said that he has the wiggles in his hands again. I'm thinking that the wiggles are pin and needles and muscle weakness . He also told us on thursday that he was feeling like he was going to faint when he was playing soccer. I not sure if the wiggles has anything to do with ncs & pots.

thanks

lisa

Hi Lisa and welcome. Sorry your young son is sick. I think "wiggles" is so cute!

When I first became ill, I had pins and needles in my hands and feet a lot. Most doctors told me it was from fatigue but one suggested it was from low volume. When I increased my fluids I found this usually helped the pins and needles go away. I was tested for muscle weakness (EMG) and other stuff, but for me, anyway, it does seem that increasing salt and fluids makes a difference. I rarely get the pins and needles feeling any more.

Has your son's doctor given you any input? It's always best to have a doctor check him out especially if this is a new symptom. Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.

It's possible that it's NCS/POTS, however, if it is a new symptom, one should not assume it's autonomic in nature. You should have your son checked by a neurologist or another doctor familiar with his issues.

Nina

I would just like to says thank-you for your replys. My son has not been diagnosed by our doctors in canada yet , but i have talked to a wonderful doctor from texas . My son has had on going health problems from 6 months of age . he recieved a pacemaker when he was 3 years old for abnormal breath-holding spells .The doctors here just keep fixing symptoms or say it's symptoms of something.anyways I will touch base with his family doctor tommorrow.

thanks you

lisa&jay

I'm sorry to hear of the new (& old) problems for your little guy and glad that you're going to touch base with your doc. I agree that it's frustrating to feel like symptoms are getting treated without the "meat" of the matter, but unfortunately that seems to be the only way to go at times. Personally I have been told that I look gray when I really don't feel well, & I have major issues with tingling/pins&needles in my feet, sometimes in my hands & legs...similar but different to what one gets from sitting on one's feet too long. I've never gotten good answers from docs re: that symptom but haven't pursued it much as it doesn't limit my life to the degree other things do. I agree though that you should definitely get things checked out. Let us know how things go. Sounds like he's lucky to have you as parents!

:-)melissa

hello , i took jay to the doctors today . our family doctor had a 24hour holter monitor put on him right away,he wasn't very happy about that. so hopefully we hear something in the next few days . i spoke to his ped doctor today as well . we live a 1hour 35min ferry ride on top of a 2hour drive a way from him . he said if this doesn't get better over the weekend we will have to go to the mainland to see him ,cardio and our nero doctors next week . i sure hope it doesn't come to that .that will be our 4th trip there in 6months . anyways i will keep you guys posted on jay's updates. thanks again for the support.

lisa & jay

Lisa, so glad you were able to get in touch with your son's doctor. I can't imagine what a 6 year old must think of the inconvenience of having a halter monitor to wear but perhaps the results will give you peace of mind about what is or is not going on. Doctors usually like to "rule out" as many things as possible which is good.

good luck to you and I hope your son is feeling better soon.

hello , i just wanted to tell you guys jay's holter test came back yesterday .

he has been having a heart rate of 190-195 when he sitting and playing . our cardio doctor is away until the 23rd of june so we are not sure if it is vent/aturial tachy. anyways i will keep you posted on any other updates we get .

thanks

lisa&jay