2 New Questions

Jackie

I am curious to know if anybody has problems with tinnitus. I have been experiencing a noise in my head that is stronger/louder at some times than others (primarily when I more tired...louder). I looked this up on the internet and have found that "tinnitus cerebri" is the sensation of noise perceived in your head vs. in the ears specifically ("tinnitus"). I have intermittent ear ringing and have even had inner ear spasms, but this sound is almost always present and strangely enough reminds me of a summer night with cricket noise (any campers or those who live in the country might know what I mean by this sound).

Since it started after taking anti-anxiety meds I am trying to figure out if this is a medication side effect or due to my other problems going on (POTS). The tinnitus cerebri I understand has to do with the pressure of the CSF fluid in the brain. I am just curious to know if anybody experiences this. (My sister with MS has experienced a humming sound in her ears and my mother complains of a buzzing sound in her head). We sound crazy don't we?

Secondly, I almost always get very pronounced scalp tenderness before my period. It hurts sometimes to just run my fingers through my hair....what is this? Anybody else have this experience?

Thanks!

I just wanted to say that I get the intermittent ear ringing too- I'll just be sitting there and I'll hear a high pitched sound that disappears after a few minutes. I've had my hearing tested and been tested for Meniere's and other inner ear problems since my diagnosis and everything was fine, so I just chalk it up to POTS somehow- I also get intermittent muscle type spasms in my ear.

Does anyone have a clue what causes this?

As for the scalp tenderness, I only experienced this after starting on Midodrine- skin tenderness was a side effect that I had for a few weeks and it subsided eventually.

Not sure about how closely your symptoms fit POTS per se... might be a medication side effect, or something else entirely. I used to get scalp tenderness that accompanied muscle spasms and headaches, but mine were neuro related, not POTS or NCS (I have a dx of both).

If your symptoms persist, be sure to check with you doctor.

Nina ;)

I have tinnitus started in the last couple of years I think. I notice it most when it is quiet in the room. Doesn't really bother me much. Compared to my POTS what's a little ringing to pass the time.

My dad has it as well ... he actually got it tested and now knows the pitch of the ringing. Isn't that a kick .... I can name that tune in 3 notes!

EM

I guess the thing is though, the sound is not in my ears per se but a perception of noise in my head. I know it sounds bizarre...it isn't voices or anything...the best I can actually describe it is the sound of a summer night...like a soft hush of the rise and fall of distant crickets. Strange...if I get brave I wil talk to the doctor about it. I'm almost afraid too though...what dx will that yield! Can only imagine! I do feel it is a side effect of meds too but wondered if it could be related to blood pressure as it is supposed to be related to CNS fluid pressure as I read on the website about it. Thanks everybody for responding though!

Can't believe I found other people with ear spasms. I've had clicking in my ears since I was in elementary school. Actually went to my pediatrician and the day I saw him my ears were doing it. He put his stethoscope up to my ear and could actually hear them spasm too.

I also have the tinnitus problem, but it's getting better since I'm not so anemic.

Hi Jackie,

I get a humming in my head on and off, and I also get the ringing along with some temporary hearing loss---more like muffled hearing. I told the assistant of Dr. Heffez about this, and he said it could be related to me cervical stenosis/chiari.

Julie :0)

I have only had the ear spasms a couple times and did not know what to make of it. It was always in my left ear when it happened and I can only remember a couple times. I didn't like the feeling though so I feel for Briarrose and Ethansmom if you experience this regularly. Actually at the time it happened, I was on Ativan and can't remember if it happened then or after I tried to take Lexapro (but was still on Ativan to combat the excitation and agitation) but somewhere in that time I had some really strange sensations in my body (the ear spasms and I also had some episodes of jaw trembling which were scary and I even had some tremor-like sensations in the upper part of my spine between my shoulder blades). It might have all been linked to muscle group twitching or something but I worried at the time about focal seizures.

Anyhoo, thanks everybody for sharing. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had some ear/head noise sensation. I find when it is bothering me and most loud, if I concentrate on another sound it bothers me less....sometimes I just focus on the sound itself and let it help me fall asleep. Oddly enough it hasn't been as bad for awhile but I stopped taking the birth control pill after 3 months so maybe that has helped it go away and balance me out somehow I don't know. I've also been trying really hard to eat more salt and drink a little more than usual lately. Admittedly, I have felt a little better, my blood pressure has been maintaining itself better, but I still have some up and down moods and energy levels. I suppose its all a guessing game huh?! :) Thanks everybody.