The New Thync Device. Claims To Affect Autonomic Nervous System

RichGotsPots

It is a relatively new device using technology and reseearch that has been around for years supposedly.

They say on their website, "The Thync Approach

A soothing neck massage. A splash of cold water. A kiss from someone you love. Each action influences peripheral nerves in your head and face, signaling brain regions to change the way you feel. Thync works using the same pathways by delivering low-level electrical pulses to these nerves.

Every day, your body balances the activity between your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. The sympathetic system is associated with a "fight or flight" response to help regulate your reaction to stress. The parasympathetic system counteracts stress to help you enter a relaxed "rest and digest" mode.

Thync uses neurosignaling to activate specific cranial and peripheral nerves to influence this balance and shift you to a state of calm or give you a boost of energy in minutes."

Right now I believe vanderbilt university is testing Vagal Nerve Stimulation on POTS. I wonder how Thync compares.

Thync also is not a medical device which is interesting. But it is very expensive. $299 plus $20 for 5 one time use bands. Its interesting to say the least but i just dont want to be the first guinea pig. If anyone has any thoughts or tries it please let me know how it went and what type of dysautonomia you have.. Also you can watch videos of people trying it on youtube..

Hi Rich,

I thync you should ignore the ads.

Please read my post to Evergreen re: "DVD's for POTS." MomtoGuiliana also posted DINET's statement emphasizing evidence-based treatment in this thread.

I get the pop-up for that stimulator every time I enter the word "dysautonomia" or "depression" in a search. Drives me nuts. If only it was that easy! There is also some doctor touting vagus nerve surgery for dysautonomia in pop-up ads. Read stuff debunking him.

What a way to advertise!

"Real" vagus nerve stimulation (VSN --used for epilepsy and treatment-resistant depression), requires an implanted device. Research funding was recently cut for depression because of unconvincing outcomes. Yet a brief search I did today notes effective trials for VNS stimulation for heart disease: they are effectively creating autonomic stability. Still experimental, but might be cause for hope.

In any event, it is not an easy procedure (the implant can cause a lethal stroke) and it seems far away from us now.

PS: I really appreciate your posts -- you are working so hard to understand this illness and get well. Very inspiring.

S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

I'm not aware of the Vanderbilt research: I know only about the implants. My error. Do you have a link to it?

I just am concerned about quick-fix/dubious treatments advertised on the web which have no research to back their claims. There seems to be a lot of discussion about such things on this site this week.

I feel people with illnesses like ours, which are so difficult to diagnose and treat, make us vulnerable to charlatans.

Not sure where whether you have access to any major databases, but if you go to a database like PubMed, and use the search term "transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation" or "non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation" you'll get about 100 articles on non-surgical / transdermal VNS used for various conditions - including epilepsy, depression, inflammatory conditions, and various others. Many, if not most, were published in 2015, and many are also peer reviewed. It's a relatively new area of research, but seems to be really promising. This is a good overview and includes an explanation of nVNS (non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation) if you're able to access it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26381725

There were some theories that vagus nerve dysfunction was one of the primary issues in dysautonomia, and I don't think it's been completely ruled out, so I would think this could be an interesting treatment option. I don't know anything about the Thync device, though, and like you, Rich, I don't want to be a guinea pig for $299 just yet!!

Hi Rich,

I'm not aware of the Vanderbilt research: I know only about the implants. My error. Do you have a link to it?

I just am concerned about quick-fix/dubious treatments advertised on the web which have no research to back their claims. There seems to be a lot of discussion about such things on this site this week.

I feel people with illnesses like ours, which are so difficult to diagnose and treat, make us vulnerable to charlatans.

But in this instance the makers are not claim its a quick fix or a cure or even trying to sell it to our community. I haven't so obviously I'm not endorsing it either..

Hi everyone, just a few lines to let you know that I have removed the links to the Vanderbilt study as they are still recruiting. It is against our forum rules to add links to open studies. Here's the specific part of the rules re that:

Soliciting

DINET does not allow advertisement. This includes, but is not limited to, medical studies, other organizations, fundraisers, products, businesses, websites, forums and Facebook groups. If you are a researcher who would like to advertise your medical study, please contact DINET. Use of our forum signifies that you agree not to use any services provided on DINET's website or forum to solicit others.

Soliciting: "1. To seek to obtain by persuasion, entreaty, or formal application. 2. To petition persistently; importune. 3. To entice or incite to evil or illegal action. 4. To approach or accost (a person) with an offer of sexual services."

Further clarifications regarding soliciting: It is okay for you to share your experiences with medical studies as long as you follow forum guidelines. However,no it is not okay to suggest members participate in medical studies, or to post information on how members can participate in medical studies.

It is okay to say you are a member of another organization, website or forum. It is okay to say you use a particular business or product. It is okay to say that you participated in a particular fundraiser. However, it is not okay to use DINET's forum to recruit members for other organizations, websites or forums. It is not okay to use DINET's forum to promote businesses, products, or fundraisers.

I realize it wasn't your intention to advertize this study!

Hi Rich and Corina,

I found the link myself, but thank you Rich.

I see your point about it not making explicit claims, but price does implicitly suggest it is more....clearly we agree though!

As I mentioned before, I really enjoy your well-researched posts as well as how assertive you are as you seek treatment and answers.

I see you've had far more testing than I have....perhaps I will PM you to see what has been most helpful. I'm now trying to rest up for a party. We had a friend stay the night, and I felt almost well....paying for it today, of course!

Have a lovely holiday (...to all readers:.

Sylvie