Bruising

I have read through the archives and found that many of us have bruising issues. My bruising is a bit on the strange side (who didn't know that :D

Today I was standing on the back deck, Leaning on the rail when I felt a slight stinging sensation on the top of my foot. I looked down and saw that a lump was rapidly raising, by the time it was done I had a big purple lump maybe 1/2 high 3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, the veins in that area were very visible and were a very deep purple. The same thing happened a couple of moths ago while I was sitting on the couch except for it was on my kneecap, not my foot. Does anyone else experience this type of bruising or am I just a strange one :)

I can have bruising that comes on suddenly if I hit something hard enough, but nothing as intense as you describe. I notice that my bruises last a very long time now -- sometimes more than a month. My doc thinks it has to do with my having lost so much weight that I have little fat or muscle to protect my blood vessels. If you are underweight or have experienced weight loss, perhaps this is a factor for you.

Amy

I can have bruising that comes on suddenly if I hit something hard enough, but nothing as intense as you describe. I notice that my bruises last a very long time now -- sometimes more than a month. My doc thinks it has to do with my having lost so much weight that I have little fat or muscle to protect my blood vessels. If you are underweight or have experienced weight loss, perhaps this is a factor for you.

Amy

I have finally gained weight so maybe its the extra pounds Im lugging around j/k

What I find weird is that this happens without having bumped anything and that I can actually feel it when it starts.

i get this occasionally, thou my docs have never come up with why.

i usually get it in my lower legs, but have also had it happen in both arms and twice in one breast.

i'm on the heavy side, thou losing weight, but still get this. do you use asprin or other type of blood thinner. i also have weaker blood vessels and they think that on ocassion the just "burst", having been eakened earlier by biing bumped and that under stress, especially standing or excersing they just pop.

don't feel alone, just one more whole in the pots pan.

blackwolf

I had never had a problem - if anything I didn't bruise when it "felt" that I had - until right after my GB surgery in march. A few weeks after I got two HUGE bruises that sort of freaked me out, as well as the docs. I have no idea how they even got there and were not locales that would have been bumped easily. They took quite awhile to fade away. My theory was nutrition-based as I'd been having major GI issues for months & had started loosing my hair too around the same time, but nothing drastic showed up on tests. Now things seem to be back to normal (at least in that solitary regard!)

have you brought up the spontaneous bruising of late with your doc at all?

melissa

I've had, not sure you would call it bruises, but on my fingers every once in a while the side of a finger will itch and hurt and I will notice that it is purple and burns, like an inflammation. I've been tested for autoimmune disorders before and since then and nothing comes up. I wonder if we can have such sensitive veins, skin etc, that the smallest thing can irritate it. I've banged my feet and legs so hard at times and nothing shows, and sometimes I find a bruise and have no idea on how it got there. :)<_<