New To Verapamil - How Long Does It Take To Start Working?

DizzyGirls

My daughters have been put on Verapamil by their autonomic doctor. I was just wondering, for those who take it or have tried it, how long does it take to start working? The doctor is hoping it will help with the POTS symptoms, their severe vertigo and my oldest daughter's migraines. Would be nice if it worked for all of those things, although, I'm not holding my breath. So far they are doing ok on it. Nothing to note. No improvement either, though.

Verapamil is a short acting drug, so it doesn't need to build up in your system like some drugs, to be effective. It should help after a dose or two. But, there is a wide range of dosage on Verapamil. I've been on 40mg 1x/day and as high 120 mg 2x/day. So, it may be the right dosage you look for more than a longer time frame for efficacy.

It depends on the formulation of Verapamil they were given. Do you know whether they were given something like Covera-HS, Verelan, Calan SR, Isoptin SR, or the generics of these? I believe the sustained or extended release versions may be more commonly prescribed now than the short immediate acting.

If it is one of the extended release versions, only about 13% of the drug will be available for the body after the first dose, and it will take approximately 5 days (give or take - every patient is different) for it to build up in the system and reach "steady state".

With immediate release, short acting verapamil, given its pharmacodynamics, you could technically see some sort of effect anywhere from one to 48 hours after the first dose (I know, it's a wide range, but depends on several factors).