"landmark" Bp Study Released

fitnesskelly

Most of the study focuses on high BP, but they did touch on low BP, which I found interesting (I'd like to find the actual study text to read):

"Too-low blood pressure, fainting episodes and more worrisome, kidney problems were 1 percent to 2 percent higher in the lower pressure group. Yet falls that cause injury due to lightheadedness were not more common, as had been feared especially for older people.

The risks were considered well worth the benefits of a lower risk of heart trouble and death."

https://www.yahoo.com/health/how-low-should-you-go-big-study-sheds-light-on-202606819.html

How many of you have kidney problems due to low BP?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure you can have kidney problems due to low BP. Do you mean who has kidney problems that cause low BP? When I first got dx, i went to a nephrologist to have my kidneys checked and they kind sn ultrasound and blood work and he said it was normal. He aso offered to treat my ortho hypotension. So I learned neaphrologists are very familiar with low BP and low BP meds.

I was placed in ICU last year on dopamine when my blood pressure was staying 60s/30s. They said that the lack of profusion was affecting my kidneys as I was not producing any urine at the time, even after 4 litters of iv fluid. After aggressive treatment to correct BP I improved and started producing urine again. I was also not able to get adequate hydration at the time so that may have been a factor with the kidneys.

I know they used dopamine, phenylephrine, albumin and some other stuff I don't remember. (Not sure on the dosages) The hospital I was in is not an autonomic specialty center so not sure what testing was done for that. I do not see a dopamine test in my online file though.The albumin seamed to really turn things around and that's what got me off the dopamine drip and out of ICU. Prior to the albumin every time they titration down the dopamine my blood pressure would tank. The goal was to fix my blood pressure so that I could get a j tube placed for long term fluid management. I had spent several months prior spiraling and things were getting worse and worse while we waited for insurance to approve getting a tube placed. Something finally happened when I landed in the ER for the upteenth time where they gave me 3 litters of fluid with no results started dopamine and then transferred to a higher level of care facility... worked out in the end I guess.