Eds And Fingernails

Guest ANCY

For those of you with EDS do you have trouble with deformed fingernails? Thumb nail flaking and peeling away from the nail bed the rest are fragile and look like they will start flaking. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Thanks.

I have EDS and I have very healthy fingernails. However, there was a period of time when my nails (and hair) became very weak and stopped growing. It turned out to be a biotin deficiency caused by a medication I was on. It is a known side effect of that med but the doc didn't bother to mention it before I started it and it wasn't listed on the information included with my script. I found the information when I started researching each med because I suspected it had to be the meds causing this.

I now take a supplement and my hair and nails are back to healthy.

I never had nail problems until 2005 and the first vertical ridge appeared. If I am unwell I get horizontal lines. I get more ridges and splits and my nails are flattening out at the tips instead of being curved. From what I've read having a connective tissue disorder causes malformed nails. Supplements have helped mine.

A few years back my nails which had always been very healthy became very ridged and thin with layers which would peel away. About the same time I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. My ferritin was 3. After starting iron pills twice a day and getting my ferritin back up to a normal level ( which took 18 months ) my nails finally recovered. Apparently this nail issue is a common anemia symptom. I was also suffering from significant hair loss during this time which has also corrected itself.

I haven't heard of any nail issues associated with EDS.