Goosebumps When Overheated?

cmreber

Hello everyone! Wow, it's been awhile since I've been on here. Which, is a good thing because I just have been finally feeling like I've gotten my life back on track for about 6 months now! For the past five years I've had quite a rough ride with POTs, and about a year and a half ago I was at an all-time low. Then, they figured out I needed my gallbladder removed, and after that, I've been so much better it's crazy. I still have POTsy symptoms from time to time and take a Beta Blocker, but I have been able to start exercising regularly and even completed a 10K marathon last month, which I can't believe.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone experiences a strange symptom that has popped up for me recently. Since I've started working out, things have definitely gotten better, but when I'm doing cardio, oftentimes I'll be hot but get goosebumps, and it almost feels like when you have a fever (that hot/cold/shivery feeling). I'm thinking that I'm just not sweating like I should and my body just isn't quite sure how to regulate itself. I just got a Fitbit, so I'll be interested this week to see what my heartrate is doing when this happens, since I really haven't been monitoring that while working out.

Does this happen to anyone else? And if so, is there anything you've found to stop this from happening? I don't think it's a big deal (at least I hope not!) but it is rather uncomfortable and occasionally I feel on the verge of a panic attack right after it happens, which isn't necessarily what I want in the middle of a class!

Thanks and hope you all are having a good day!!! <3

Glad to hear you are doing better mostly, what a blessing to have some of your life back.

I get goosebumps and the hot feeling when I start to get overheated and am NOT sweating. My temperature if I take it is usually elevated somewhere over 100. I get overheated easily, either by activity or just a hot environment.

I use ice packs and other cooling clothing to help prevent the overheating. If I catch it early on and take measures to cool down I can typically avoid the goosebumps.

Hope you stay on the road to recovery. God bless.

Goosebumps are actually a sympathetic nervous system response and not just a response to cold. It is not uncommon to get them along with adrenaline rushes or other symptoms caused by a sympathetic response. It is actually a drug side effect of Midodrine which is a drug used to increase BP by mimicking a sympathetic response.

Thanks everyone! You have all been helpful! I think for me it might be a combination of the two things: getting overheated and what Katybug said about it being linked to adrenaline rushes (which hadn't occurred to me, so thank you!). I've never taken my temp when it happens, but the first time it ever happend was at a concert in crazy heat and I wasn't sweating like I should. But when it happens while exercising I think it might be more likely a weird sympathetic nervous system response. Which would also explain why I get some of the other "panic attack" beginning symptoms when it happens, since whenever I get those they are usually hand-in-hand with some sort of adrenaline dump.

This happens to me often when I ride and/or exercise and become overheated. I think I posted a thread about it on here not too long ago. I have tried cooling vests, 2 different kinds, and it didn't help my problem. I throw out a lot of norepinephrine when I exercise so this is most likely the culprit in my case.

Hope you find your answers!

• 2 weeks later...