Pots With Normal Bp.

Praxxtor

Hi there.

Ive been meaning to ask what sort of treatment is there available for those with normal or mostly normal BP. Well ive come to the conclusion that my BP is normal as no mention of it was made during testing.

I was diagnosed with POTS but given no means of medication. Just the usual volume boosting and whatnot. Salt makes me feel worse and I dont feel the need to drink fluids or more thirsty than usual or have i noticed that my symptoms are due to low blood volume.

From what I gather most if not all medication is out there to mainly solve BP issues. Although I have noticed that hot showers seem to make me temporarily feel much better which is quite the opposite of what most POTS patients would say. I did once ask a reputable 'ask a doc' site about the shower thing and it was mentioned that it is possible to see such relief in hyperadrenergic POTS. Ive had this feeling that my issue stems from some kind of vasoconstriction. Needless to say I found out that there are vasodilators. Im just trying to figure out how to go about requesting a trial based on my clinical picture.

Hi Praxxtor, what symptoms do you have the bother you the most?

Regarding medications, I copied and pasted the Medications from DINET's "What help's" section http://dinet.org/index.php/information-resources/pots-place/pots-what-helps

Anti-arrhythmic drugs, such as disopyramide (norpace), have been used to treat POTS patients. However, studies have shown that some anti-arrhythmic drugs may increase the risk of death, and they are usually used only to treat life-threatening arrhythmias.

Benzodiazepines, such as Clonazepam (klonopin) or alprazolam (xanax), are not used as a first-line of treatment and can worsen tachycardia and hypotension. However, they may be helpful in select patients. Klonapin has been shown to be effective in the treatment of some patients with neurally mediated syncope (Kadri, Hee, Rovang, Mohiuddin, Ryan, Ashraf, Huebert & Hilleman, 1999). These drugs are central nervous system depressants. They are thought to enhance the effect of gaba, an inhibitory neurotransmitter. Benzodiazepines should be used with caution, as they are highly addictive. Some physicians do not advocate their use.

Beta Blockers are especially useful in those with elevated norepinephrine levels, beta-receptor supersensitivity and a hyperadrenergic state. Beta blockers can exacerbate hypotension and are not well tolerated by some dysautonomics. Beta blockers need to be used with caution, as they are known to reduce plasma renin activity. Research shows that hypovolemic orthostatic intolerant patients commonly have inappropriately low levels of plasma renin activity (Jacob, Robertson, Mosqueda-Garcia, Ertl, Robertson & Biaggioni, 1997). Reduced plasma renin activity may be an important pathophysiologic component of the syndrome of orthostatic intolerance (Jacob et al., 1997). Hence, some POTS patients may have low plasma renin activity that is contributing to their disorder. Beta blockers may further lower plasma renin activity in these patients. Therefore, the use of beta blockers in some hypovolemic patients may be counterproductive. Beta blockers should be used with caution, if at all, in those with mast-cell activation disorders (Shibao, Arzubiaga, Roberts, Raj, Black, Harris & Biaggioni, 2005). Beta blockers may trigger mast-cell activation.

Cerefolin is a vitamin supplement that may help patients combat fatigue and feel more alert.

Clonidine (Catepres) is a centrally acting alpha-agonist agent. Clonidine inhibits sympathetic outflow (Grubb & McMann, 2001, p. 117). It can stabilize heart rate and blood pressure in patients with post-ganglionic sympathetic involvement (Gaffney, Lane, Pettinger & Blomqvist, 1983). Clonidine will actually display a vasoconstrictive effect in these patients. Clonidine is started at 0.1 mg a day and titrated upward (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). It is available in a long-acting patch form.

DDAVP (Desmopressin) is used to help patients retain water. DDAVP can raise blood pressure and seems to be especially useful in lessening morning hypotension. It is a man made copy of the anti-diuretic hormone vassopressin. Vassopressin and DDAVP stimulate the kidneys to concentrate urine.

Erythropoietin raises blood pressure and red cell mass. Red blood cell volume has been found to be low in POTS patients (Raj, Biaggioni, Yamhure, Black, Paranjape, Byrne & Robertson, 2005). Erythropoietin is also a potent vasoconstrictor and is quite useful in the treatment of orthostatic disorders (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). There may be an impairment in erythropoietin production and/or function in some individuals with POTS. Erythropoietin reportedly works in 80% of patients (Grubb, 2002). One study showed that erythropoietin administration led to dramatic improvements in some patients with orthostatic hypotension (Hoeldtke & Streeten, 1993). However, a later study of (only) 8 patients with orthostatic tachycardia reported that erythropoietin did not help the tachycardia (Hoeldtke, Horvath & Bryner, 1995). Erythropoietin is not commonly used because it has to be injected and is expensive. Procrit is a common medication that increases erythropoietin, which in turn increases red blood cell mass. Patients treated with erythropoietin may need iron supplementation as their hematocrit rises. Prior to starting erythropoietin, a complete serum blood count (CBC) as well as a serum iron, total iron binding capacity, and ferritin level should be obtained by one's physician (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). Erythropoietin can be employed as long as the hematocrit (HCT) is less than 50, and patients appear to achieve the best hemodynamic effect when the HCT is in the low to mid-40 range. The usual starting dose of erythropoietin is 10,000 units injected subcutaneously once weekly, and it usually takes 4-6 weeks to see the full effects of this medication (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). Patients should have their HCT checked monthly to make sure it is below 50.

Florinef (Fludrocortisone) increases plasma volume. It helps the body to retain salt and water. It also sensitizes blood vessels so that they can constrict more easily (Haran, 2004). Some doctors administer salt tablets with florinef. This is because the effectiveness of Florinef depends upon salt intake. Florinef can deplete potassium and magnesium and supplements may be required. Florinef increases intracranial pressure and should not be used in patients with hind brain compression. Numerous symptoms of sympathetic overactivity are enhanced by Florinef and some people develop severe headaches as a result of treatment (Schondorf & Freeman, 1999). Florinef is a mineralocorticoid and, like beta blockers, can reduce levels of plasma renin activity (Jacob et al., 1997). Reduced levels of plasma renin activity correlate with the hypovolemia observed in some POTS patients. Florinef may be a counterproductive treatment in these patients. Usually, POTS patients are prescribed 0.1-0.2 mg of fludrocortisone daily. The dose should never exceed 0.4 mg orally each day as adrenal suppression may occur (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006).

Ivabradine, a sinus node blocker, has reportedly helped some POTS patients experience less symptoms. Ivabradine is sometimes used as an alternative to beta-blockers because it results in heart rate reduction without vasodilation, sexual disturbances, ornegative inotropic effects.

Labetalol is sometimes used in POTS patients because it induces both alpha- and beta-blockade. Dosages of 100-400 mg orally twice a day may be employed (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). Carvedilol works in a similar fashion to labetalol and is also sometimes employed as a treatment for POTS.

Methyldopa is helpful in select POTS patients (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006).

Mestinon (Pyridostigmine Bromide) has traditionally been used to treat myasthenia gravis, but is now sometimes being used to treat POTS patients (Grubb, 2002). Mestinon works by inhibiting the breakdown of acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is the main chemical messenger of the parasympathetic nervous system. Some POTS patients may have immune systems that are mistakenly making antibodies that are plugging up acetylcholine receptors (Grubb, 2002). Mestinon works to unplug these receptors by allowing more acetylcholine to remain at the neuromuscular junction. Mestinon is particulary useful in patients who have the postviral, paraneoplastic or autoimmune forms of POTS. Mestinon is usually started at 30 mg orally twice a day, titrating to 60 mg orally twice daily, if necessary (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006).

Motrin (Ibuprofen) or Indocin (Indomethacin) might be beneficial treatments for patients with postprandial hypotension (Hilz, Marthol & Neundorfer, 2002). Postprandial hypotension refers to low blood pressure occurring after meals. Motrin and indocin block the blood pressure lowering effects of prostaglandins (Hain, 2001). Studies have suggested that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may also lower one's risk of developing Alzheimer's disease(in t' Veld, Ruitenberg, Hofman, Launer, van Duijn, Stijnen, Breteler & Stricker, 2001). However, long term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can have serious side effects.

Phenobarbital is a central nervous system depressant. It can be useful in the hyperadrenergic form of dysautonomia. However, phenobarbital is a barbiturate and people can become addicted to this drug. Barbiturates can also cause fainting (Grubb & McMann, 2001, p. 109).

Prednisone, plasma exchange or intravenous gamma globulin may be used in patients who are in the acute post-viral phase of the illness (Low, Schondorf, Novak, Sandroni, Opfer-Gehrking & Novak, 1997, p. 694). These treatments are most likely to be effective in patients displaying evidence of an acute autonomic neuropathy.

Saline has shown to be very beneficial in decreasing POTS symptoms. It is an inexpensive treatment with few side effects. However, saline must be given through an IV, which is time consuming and may require trips to the doctor's office. Some of the most severely affected patients report having a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line) inserted so that IVs can be administered at home. However, some physicians do not believe the benefits outweigh the possible risks associated with a PICC line.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's) are sometimes used to treat those with autonomic disorders. SSRI's are used because serotonin is the principal neurotransmitter that the brain uses to govern autonomic control, in particular to govern blood pressure (Haran, 2004). Studies have shown that some patients with autonomic disorders may have disturbances in central serotonin production and regulation (Grubb & Karas, 1998). SSRI treatment can suppress the sympathetic nervous system (Shores, Pascualy, Lewis, Flatness & Veith, 2001). Venlafaxine is particularly effective, possibly due to its actions on norepinephrine as well as serotonin. It has been reported that SSRI's may be effective in treating the chest pain that is associated with dysautonomia (Low, 2000). However, the FDA has issued a public health advisory regarding antidepressants, and they should be used with caution.

Sleep medications are used by some POTS patients. A number of patients have significant sleep disturbances (Low, 2000). Some patients report successfully using natural alternatives to sleep medication. Herbal remedies should be used with caution and under a physician's supervision, as there are known risks with some OTC sleep aids. For example, the FDA has issued warnings regarding Kava Kava and melatonin supplements have been shown to worsen orthostatic intolerance.

Midodrine is particularly useful in patients with peripheral denervation (Low, 2000). Midodrine is usually started at 5 mg orally three times a day and can be titrated up to 15-20 mg orally four times a day, if necessary (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). Midodrine can be used on an as needed basis. Theoretically, continuous use of midodrine could result in constriction of blood volume due to chronic sympathetic activation (Jacob & Biaggioni, 1999).

Octreotide is especially useful in preventing vasodilation in the gut, thereby reducing splanchnic pooling. Its actions help to prevent postprandial hypotension (low blood pressure after meals). Octreotide inhibits the release of a variety of gastrointestinal peptides and also may reduce postural and exercise induced hypotension (Mathias, 2003). Octreotide does not often appear to enhance supine nocturnal hypertension, however one study reports that it is a possible side effect (Hoeldtke, Bryner, Hoeldtke & Hobbs, 2007).Octreotide is administered by subcutaneous injection starting at 50 µg 2-3 times a day, and dosages may be titrated up to 100-200 µg three times a day (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006). A long-acting injectable form has also been deve

Theophyllineis primarily used in asthma patients. One of its effects is to increase vasoconstriction, therefore theophylline is sometimes used to treat dysautonomia (Grubb & McMann, 2001, p. 116).

Ritalin increases peripheral vascular resistance via alpha receptor stimulation (Grubb, Kosinski, Mouhaffel & Pothoulakis, 1996). Ritalin is prescribed by some physicians, but can be addictive.

Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is a central nervous system stimulant. It is a dopamine agonist and also a weak blocker of the neuronal uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. Wellbutrin is not habit forming and works immediately. Wellbutrin can sometimes be used to combat the fatigue that plagues POTS patients.

Thanks Sarah. I shall see what I can get the doctor to try. As for symptoms it would be my digestive system and eyes followed by orthostatic intolerance. I just know the answer is somewhere between the blood vessel constriction and hot showers as i tend to feel much better afterwards. Fingers crossed.

Hey Praxxtor, this link is pretty helpful and at the bottom lists the various classes of vasodilators, http://www.cvpharmacology.com/vasodilator/vasodilators

Not sure what symptoms you have specifically with your eyesight, but I have had normal eye exams but experience a lot of blurred vision at times, so its attributed to pots symptoms. Regarding your GI issues, I hope you and your dr. will be able to find something helpful for you. Good luck at your appointment! Sarah