How Do You Know If It's Pots Or Just Deconditioning

Hey y'all! Just wondering how do you tell if it's pots or just deconditioning since they both mimic each other greatly?? My main issue is my tachycardia when standing up and my blood pressure is low. I'm on midodrine and that helps and starting the pots protocol in the next few weeks. Thanks and hope y'all are having a great weekend!

That is probably something you and your Dr must determine.

I have a combination of the two. My symptoms came on rapidly in the begining, proceeded by a sinus infection, and because I didn't know how important it was to stay active, nor what was going on, I rested a LOT. in the long run that made things worse for me.

My Dr believes my dysautonomia was brought on by something autoimmune, made worse by the months of inactivity following the onset.

I don't think my doctors know ? they can't ever figure out why I'm having my tachycardia when standing bp the lowest is 90/60. I can't decide if my anxiety/panic was true panic and anxiety first and then after I had my son if me sitting around afraid to do anything is the deconditioning part. I saw 3 cardiologists and they all did the poor mans tilt and never mentioned pots and I don't think my heart rate went up at first, then I became so paranoid that there was something wrong with my heart and started noticing ever small thing, then we started our family and that's when I noticed the heart rate increasing a few months after I had him. Just frustrating not knowing what t is and I know we will prbly find out once I start my protocol. Just need patience.

Thanks, I'm just wishing my hardest and praying with all I have that it's deconditioning. With my son only being two and my husband deploying a lot I just have to get better. Not having family or friends to count on when far away is not a good combo when you are really bad. I just hope I'm not in denial of this but since my doctors can't ever tell me I think that keeps me still on the fence.

You have to be of the mindset that you can and will get better. De conditioning to cause POTS symptoms would be rather severe deconditioning. Regardless, getting in better shape will help POTS symptoms. It can be difficult to get in better shape with the onset of POTS.

I would encourage you to do what you can to get in the best shape that you can without setting yourself back. Take it slow. One step at a time.

Also, try not to add more pressure on yourself. Pressure, stress, anxiety etc. makes it all worse. Be good to yourself. Take it one day at a time. When you start to feel pressured, try to find a way to settle back down. This all requires patience. It is a series of small victories that can get us on our feet.

Ya def the anxiety part I have to work on and also I'm really sleep deprived. I haven't been able to get max 6 total hours of sleep in 2 1/2 years. I know that's playing a huge role in this as well. I could hibernate this winter and be content haha. Once we pcs and get settled in I think it will get better because we are going to work on my son sleeping in his own bed and room.

By getting in reasonably good condition and comparing.

Good luck.

I agree with this.

Doc originally thought I had POTS from deconditioning because my health problems coincided with an injury from weight lifting (I was also a triathlete then). Doc told me to start doing cardio daily, so I did. I've worked my way up to a variety of activities, the hardest being mountain biking (I did 11-12 miles on the mountain bike on Saturday and a 24 mile road ride 2 days before, so I'm back into pretty good fitness). I still am just as symptomatic as before, so it's not an issue of conditioning for me.

Holy smokes!!! That's a lot of miles!!! Great job by the way!! I was very fit when all this happened but I don't know if I was having pots attacks or panic attacks. I'm thinking it started off as panic attacks because it feels completely different now. I bought a Fitbit to monitor my heart rate, water intake and sleep etc. I've noticed I'm barely walking 5,000-6,000 steps a day and that's because anytime I feel a weird sensation I stop immediately and I'm afraid to just get my heart going. I use to be the most energetic person around never missing a beat. I hope I can get to a point where I can do the miles you are. I miss rock climbing and repelling with my hubsand so I'm really looking forward to feeling better to get back out there and accomplish things again.

@Starbust - I think you can get back to it. I'm not back to the level I was at either, but primarily because I still am unable to lift weights without suffering with tremendous coat-hanger pain after. I think part of what helped me is that I finally realized that I'm not going to die if I exercise or even push myself a little. I used to be afraid that I would end up dead if I tried to do any exercise other than maybe walking. I took baby steps to work back up to where I am now - it helped me get over the mental hump.