Do You All Find That You Have Trouble Making Decisions?

I used to be multi tasked and going in many directions at once. Now I do struggle. Especially with complex subjects. Cognitive difficulties is one of my major challenges. I am wondering if I can handle a part time job. I wonder what I can do. I would have a hard time providing change without making mistakes.

I also have to be careful cooking. It is easy for me to forget and leave something on.

It bothers me. I tolerate it well enough, but I am not who I was. Family members and friends have commented, so others have noticed. My wife is gracious enough to simply come back through behind me.

What I am trying to do is learn how to compensate, and be at my best possible. I do have times that are better than others, but I have little control over it.

I have been having difficulty with memory. Also, concentrating on a subject and properly expressing them has also been a problem.

This isn't a constant issue. It happens when symptoms come back and it isn't even every single time.

This is something that has effected my job (obviously).

I could also add that eating would cause heart pounding, usually 30 min after eating and it lasts 30 min to 1 hour.

Again, this is a symptom that doesn't happen consistently.

Interesting - I find decision-making so difficult these days, especially if I am feeling rough. Really simple things, like what to wear. Packing a suitcase (not that I travel much) is ridiculously difficult: I can't seem to anticipate what I will need. I find this quite frightening. I'm sorry to hear others go through it, too.

I don't find making the decision itself difficult. What I do find difficult these days is getting my thoughts organized so I can get to making the decision. I find my mind jumps around so much more these days. I can sit down to do paperwork and it becomes overwhelming to sort what to do first, not out of procrastination or uncertainty, but more because my mind is thinking about all of it and therefore not doing any of it. Does that make sense??

I don't find making the decision itself difficult. What I do find difficult these days is getting my thoughts organized so I can get to making the decision. I find my mind jumps around so much more these days. I can sit down to do paperwork and it becomes overwhelming to sort what to do first, not out of procrastination or uncertainty, but more because my mind is thinking about all of it and therefore not doing any of it. Does that make sense??

Yes. For example, I wake up in the morning and trying to get ready. I think I want a glass of water, I need to make a sandwich, I need to pack this and that into my bag, I need to brush my teeth, etc.

Putting things in sequence becomes difficult. I do a little bit of one thing, then another, then another.

Now that you both bring that up (Katybug and bigtrouble), I do that also. I can not keep on task. And in making a decision on what to have for dinner, for instance, my mind also thinks about every little possibility and it just stifles me - it completely baffles my husband how one thing relates to another when I make a decision.

Yes, definitely. When I was first diagnosed, it was worse. I couldn't focus on any one thing for more than a few seconds (felt like I had ADD) and had difficulty forming a coherent sentence. While some of that has gotten better, I still struggle with word finding, and lately it seems like I'm much more indecisive than I used to be.

My spouse, who also has POTS, has been hit much harder than even I have in the cognitive arena, with a LOT of problems with word finding, making decisions, and just thinking coherently in general, unfortunately. So together we're kinda funny - neither of us can ever figure out what to do for dinner!

Haha, Katybug, that's EXACTLY what it's like! If I get interrupted it's all over, and I just get that blank stare. On the other hand, I also notice I interrupt people more often too without meaning to, because it's like I have to get that thought out before I forget it.

Lol. Ditto to the last few comments!! Actually, I can relate to everything in this thread.

When I get that total blanking, I notice the other person looking at me and waiting for "something" to come out of my mouth. It seems like it's happening in slow motion. Lol. It's funny to see how different people react - some will feel the need to jump in and finish my thought and some will just look away and pretend the conversation ended and move onto the next topic. They are accustomed to it now - it's part of the package. :)

I have had a lot of cognitive issues, but thankfully they don't seem permanent. It's mostly when I'm upright or if I've been trying to concentrate on something.

Hiya, Peace. How are you doing? As always, its great to ses you here! My cognitive issues tend to woren when I'm standing in line with 5 people behind me and I'm trying to rush, and just like yourself and I'm sure many others, while upright. I will forget what I'm saying in the middle of the conversation.

I've been hit with the cognitive issues also. Last week I was at Target and my total was $12 and some change. I gave her a ten and stood there waiting for my change. I got a very kind woman who said,"Don't worry I do things like that all the time" I smiled and thought, 15 times a day at 29 y/o?

Kelly, I wanted to share something (and with you all, I have a very close friend who had identical symptoms and diagnoses to mine (Her "brain fog" was #1 problem). She was convinced she had Early Onset Alzheimer's, so she had her GP sent her for Neurocognitive testing (memory, attention, visualspacil, speed, motor, and emotion.). He also asked her how she coped with her illness and her mood. She called me after the test after the test thinking she did so poorly, it turns out, the psychologist called to tell her she had an above average IQ and that cognitively she excelled despite her symptoms.

I know In my case its probably cerebral hypoperfusion.. If I'm upright I can't decide to go left or right sometimes. It drives my fiancé bonkers, but as supportive as he is (most of the time) he just doesn't understand what its like for your brain to feel like it just shuts down. Its monotonous, Im sorry you all have some of these symptoms as well. Has anyone talked to their doctors about it and been able to get an answer about what may be helpful? ( Other than become supine, of course)

Best of lucky everyone!