What do you do when you BP gets too low??

Hi,

well I had a rough day yesterday and today, yesterday I could not get up off the couch, :huh: Everytime I stood up I felt like I was going to pass out. I checked my BP and it was 57/44. and it stayed in that range all day long, it went up alittle bit too about 73/56, and my heart rate was running between 130-176. I did not get up off the couch yesterday for fear of passing out.

Well today what happened was I slept for a good 14 hours straight, well I woke up and layed there for a few minutes and then I got up, and I stood up and low and behold I passed right out onto the bedroom floor, the only thing that I remeber is my heart started beating really fast, and boom! down I went.

It is very scary passing out, I am alone most of the time, its just scary. ONce I came too, I checked my Bp it was about 90/73, thats not to terribly bad, but the heart rate was up some 144.

I called my family doc first, because this has been going on since yesterday, and they immediatley said to go to the ER, I did not go to the ER, I have had some bad experiences with ER docs and nurses and do not care to be subjected to there negativity and bone headedness in regard to pots and dysautonomia.

So what I then did was page my cardio doc in pittsburgh, he said to lower my dose of clinidine, and lay low, and to call him back tomorrow,

So my question to you is what do you do when you BP drops to low? do you ride it out at home? Is there anything that helps raise it?

For some weird reason if I eat green olives, they make me not feel so syncope feeling. So what I did was eat alot of green olives, and drank alot of water and gatorade.

I didnt know whatelse to do!!! :(

I am feeling alittle better tonight thank god!!

thanks for listening!

Linda

Hi Linda,

I take Proamatine and Salt tablets for low blood pressure.

I understand why you don't want to go to the ER. I feel the same way. Sometimes it is hard to figure out when we should go in. So far, I go to the ER when someone sends me there. I hate to go so I avoid going at all costs. I know that sometimes we have to go because we need to check for new symptoms.

Ernie

Linda

I'm so sorry you're going through this. What a scary situation. My BP has gotten really low before too, although not quite as low as yours and I've come close to passing out, but haven't (knock on wood!).

Have you talked to your doc about getting a standing order for IV fluids? That way you can go to the ER and they can hook you up with fluids and hopefully they won't give you a hard time. IV fluids do wonders for many of us, especially when your BP is down that low.

Also, olives are usually very high in salt so that's probably why they make you feel better! :huh:

If your BP continues to stay down that low, you are endangering yourself, especially if you live alone and continue to pass out. Just my humble opinion, but it sounds like you'd really benefit from some IV therapy.

Best wishes,

gena

my heart started beating really fast, and boom! down I went.

For some weird reason if I eat green olives, they make me not feel so syncope feeling. So what I did was eat alot of green olives, and drank alot of water and gatorade.

I just had to laugh at your "cure". That is exactly what I do. Olives, Gatorade, Dill Pickles, and canned unwatered down chicken noodle soup. I have also found that if I wolf down 2 or three bananas it will lower my heartrate but will increase the palpitations.

Hi, I have a port-a-cath which allows me to get fluids at home anytime I need them. This is a cathether in my chest which goes directly to my heart. I am able to administer fluids (usually 1-2 liters when symptomatic) at home without having to go to the ER. It has given me a lot of control over my treatment and I am spared from having to explain why I need fluids to doctors unfamiliar with dysautonomia. The fluids raise my blood pressure and do essentially the same thing as Florinef so they have been helpful.

Carmen

Hi I have talked to the doc about getting a standing IV order, and he said to take things one step at atime, and to wait and see if the medication works first.

Salt! And lots of water to increase blood volume. I know how you feel- I point blank refuse to go to the ER now because it's NEVER productive. I usually do what you do and drop my cardiologist a line explaining what's happening.

Keep calm, make sure if it's possible someone stays around you?

I know how frightening it is. Perhaps try and move little and often - I'm a firkm believe from my own experience that if you don't move, then it will get worse- your heart rate will end up going higher and higher and it's a vicious cycle.

Keep us posted, dizzygirl, thinking of you!

P x x :)

If your BP is low, you could also try wearing compression hose. It helps stabilize my BP and heart rate. I also agree with the suggestions of salt, water and gatorade - most of us rely on these.

Trying to sit or stand for as much as you can also helps. If you lie down too much your body will become used to it and that will make it harder to get up. There are some other good suggestions under "What Helps" on potsplace.com.

Hi guys..

thanks for the tips.. I will have to try the some of the suggestions. Osme I never thought of, the soup clever.

I had 2 episodes today, 1 was a syncope episode, passed right out, and the second time i came very close to passing Out, But I felt that one coming, and layed down on the bathroom floor, until it passed. Boy it is a horrible feeling.

I think that the heat has alot to do with my syncope episodes, it is so very hot.

Miriam, I live in Erie, I go to Pittsburgh to see my cardiologist, Dr. Bazaz, heard of him? He works through UPMC hospital, he pretty good, very nice doc. I also have a neurologist out of pittsburgh too, I find that the care is better in Pittsburgh, the doctors seem much more knowledgable and understanding tp Pots and dysautonomia.

Thanks for the support!!!

Linda

Hi All,

If I don't go down , I usually wait about 30 seconds 'til it goes thru the roof or both. Tendencey is to watch my veins cave in and disappear ( as I am quite vascular this is a very obivious clue - neat to watch too!! ) THEN all **** breaks loose. I know I 'm in deep trouble whne speech is affected or neck , mouth fasciltations ; that' s when sitting really isn't an option as laying becomes an imperative. BP and HR are like a F1 Race car Tachometre zoom up , zoom down. The various muscle spasming is very diffcult espeacially during Low HR / BP periods and being unable to communicate to someone trying to help. But just trying to Relax is the best thing. This stuff just kicks the s--- outta ya / me . after I tend to just try to get ready for the next one ; which depends on the Day. This heat is getting me as Iam finding it hard to regulate body temp. Little water blisters everywhere and crazy sweat pattern - sometimes drench others none at all. Go figure. But , as with you all, I do crave and try to maintain salt/ sodium intake thru fluid during &after ( the during is usually expelling fluid all over myself -drool etc.) . Mostly know its coming and try to mitigate the external effects thru diet , exercise , rest , meds etc. Do the best we can.

Slainte` Kite 7

Ps actually just picked my soory butt up of the grass -- been 1 0f THOSE days

CHEERS

Hi Miriam,

I will be in Pittsburgh from July 6th thru July 8th, we should get together have lunch or something if you were feeling up to it. It would be great to meet one of you from this forum!!

you can email me at freedombutterfly97@yahoo.com

Linda