Verapamil For Tachycardia

Jacquie802

Hello-

I'm wondering who has tried verapamil for bouts of SVT as well as elevated heart rate (some days heart rate is in the low to mid 100s and other days it's normal; some days it goes to 140-180 for a short time). I have tried beta blockers, however, they lowered my bp too low (I have low BP even without the beta blockers). I have palpitations on a daily basis as well, so I'm hoping for some ideas that may help.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Jacquie,

I've taken verapamil for bouts of SVT and was on it for tachycardia and bp years ago.

You may want to talk to your cardiologist about a med called Ivabradine, (Corlanor). I was prescribed it for IST, so I'm not sure about SVT... But, it doesn't affect my BP, just works on rate control by targeting the sinus node directly. http://heartdisease.about.com/od/womenheartdisease/fl/Ivabradine-for-Inappropriate-Sinus-Tachycardia-IST.htm

Wishing you best of luck,
Sarah

Hey Jacquie, I'm currently on verapamil for chest pain/ pressure, which it has helped to keep under control. I don't believe that it has much of an affect on my bp or hr, though I'm on a low dose because I'm so sensitive to medications. When I was trying a beta blocker I constantly felt less aware and sort of in a cloud throughout the day probably because of the lowered bp, fortunately I have not had that side effect with the verapamil.

Hi Jacquie,

I have taken verapamil twice. The first time was many years ago before I had POTS but suffered from migraines. At the time my bp was chronically low, 95-90/65-60. I did have some success then with the migraines and I had no change in my bp (which the prescribing Neuro was concerned about and pleasantly surprised that it didn't affect my bp.)

I am on verapamil again. I had to stop the beta blockers due to mast cell issues. The verapamil was prescribed to me for my heart rate. I can't really say that I get great results from it although it has controlled the chest pain that I had been experiencing. It is not helping my migraines this time. However, it is also not affecting my bp.

Hope it works out for you.

Take care,

Katie