Thinking Hard Causes Symptoms?

navyblue

Weird scary thing happened yesterday, wondering if anyone can help me make sense of it.

I was sitting down and trying to solve a Rubik's cube...and I was thinking really hard about it. Almost immediately felt a headache coming on but didn't care, needed to solve it. Then, I started getting chest pain, mostly right side. Kept trying to solve it. Head pressure too. Then I suddenly felt this weird deep vibrating/rushing feeling in my foot like it was really full of blood and my brain felt like it was deprived of blood, Looked at my foot and it was all red and blotchy. Elevated it and kept trying to solve the dang thing. Finally felt so weird and anxious that I stopped. Decided I had to move to get the blood going right again and so took a dizzy walk around the block....has anyone gotten symptoms from thinking hard? This had never happened before, though that same leg tingles a lot. I almost wonder if it wasn't like a blood clot in my leg or something...does anyone else get right-side chest pain?

When I was first sick I found certain mental activity very difficult, like they felt as though they were much more mentally strenuous than they actually were. I remember doing a small puzzle with my cousin and we were seeing who would finish first and even though it was a simple kids puzzle I felt like doing it was just as strenuous as taking a four hour test where you just feel mentally drained afterwards.

Another thing I notice which may be a bit more similair is when I would begin to practice piano I would get an onset of nausea. Not clue why but it used to happen almost everytime I would begin, I felt like it had something to do with using different parts of my brain maybe?

Hi NavyBlue!

I used to have that quit a bit early on ( chest pain, headache, anxiousness), whenever I would focus/concentrate/think for extended periods of time it would get pretty severe. When mentally tasked your brain is using lots of energy and if you are also adrenal fatigued it puts a great deal of pressure on your adrenals to release cortisol to stimulate gluconeogenesis to raise your blood sugar fast enough. The additional release of catecholamines to stimulate glycerol and fatty acid release then puts you over the top causing arteriole constriction ( chest pain, headache, anxiousness). When I made sure to eat well balanced meals that contain more MCTs like coconut oil, symptoms happened quite less. Stress, physical or mental can certain set off a whole host of symptoms.

All the Best in Health & Wellness!

Rob

The most likely reason you are experiencing these symptoms is because you have reduced blood flow to your brain meaning there is limited glucose and oxygen metabolism in your brain. In fact there are studies by Dr Medow and Stewart that suggest that POTs patients dont experience cerebral vasodilation in response to cognitive challenges.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/20/2015 at 4:40 AM, ramakentesh said:

The most likely reason you are experiencing these symptoms is because you have reduced blood flow to your brain meaning there is limited glucose and oxygen metabolism in your brain. In fact there are studies by Dr Medow and Stewart that suggest that POTs patients dont experience cerebral vasodilation in response to cognitive challenges.

THIS is what I was thinking of when I read the original post.  I've never passed out from thinking too much, but it does tire me out quickly. It made life in college & grad school quite difficult at times, but I managed to get through it.