What Are You Eating

Loulou

Hi. I am learning that I do have food triggers and am not happy about that <_<

So, since small meals are suppose to be good for our potsie bodies, can you guys please share your daily routine, I need some help here too. I tried trail mix type things and just learned with the help of Sue1234(thank you), that nuts seeds and chocolates were triggers. So what do you all eating and how much are you eating daily. I just don't know how to plan so that it is still healthy, and am like many of you, I can't stand in the kitchen making food with long prep times. You can only dance around so much cutting up food before you cut yourself up. Hahaha, just don't ask me how I know about that one!!!! So please share your menu with us all. Oh, don't forget portion sizes too, I think it looks like just a little food, but its really not :D

Potsielou

I think this is very individualized. I finally figured out that gluten doesn't bother one bit but rice makes me deathly ill. Some days a big meal doesn't bother me but other times it does. I thought it was the meal size but I figured out it was the position I was eating in. At my house, I eat on the couch in front of the tv with my legs up on the couch. I'm fine like that. At my mom's, where we alert at the kitchen table, I almost always have to go lay down immediately after eating. My mom always sees it in my skin color before I even feel it. She warns me so I can go lay down before it gets to the point I can't walk by myself. Some fruits, like pineapple, I can eat during the day without a problem but I can't have it close to bedtime. And I've been through extensive food allergy testing which indicated I'm actually allergic to everything except fish, chicken, and beef (allergic to all grains, nuts, fruit, veg, pork, shellfish.)

So, I guess what I'm saying is we can suggest methods to figure out what triggers you but what triggers us is likely not going to be the same for you. There is food allergy testing which any allergist or immunological can help you with. You can do an elimination diet which I think you should consult a doctor about before trying because it tends to be extreme on your body. You can see if eating in different positions gives you different results. I'm sure others have more ideas for how you can figure out what your triggers are.

I agree with Katy it really is about finding out what works for you and what you are sensitive too. Sitting to prep food works for me on bad days

I actually follow an anti inflammatory diet because of my immune issues. I make veggie juice and smoothies with berries and almond milk as extra nutrition as part of my daily grazing. I also make gluten sugar free snacks as I am gluten intolerant. I try to buy good quality produce. Lots of veg, fish and occasionally red meat and fermented produce

I make a lot of salads and stir frys quick and easy. My favourite at the moment is buttersquash chips but hubby cuts that up as he doesn't trust me with the knife!

I love cooking so does my husband so we work together, its a nice time to catch up on the days events and he takes over if I cant finish!

I can handle anything natural pretty well. I did have a time where bananas would name my heart beat funny. I usually try to eat the same thing everyday so that I can narrow down what bothers me. It's very boring but I'd rather be bored than having crazy things going on.

I find there are some things that don't go well with my POTS/ migraine body, namely milk, anything with caffeine even decaf drinks, anything with msg makes me feel really ill, chocolate, foods with nitrates in them, no alcohol, and that's all I can recall at the moment.

Typically though I'll eat a pretty plain healthy diet, so a lot of vegetables and fruit, chicken, and then like pasta and fish. My POTS doctor said to eat less carbs and more protein and vegetables and stuff, but I think it's pretty particular from one individual to the next. It's very much about just trying to avoid the foods that make your symptoms worse and see how you feel from there.

Thank you all for posting. I think I will try the food diary. The thing about the diary is that I don't get symptoms right away :unsure: .

thanks guys

hmm... generally, I skip breakfast because I can't handle it, and I don't eat late at night for the same reason..my "snacks" are usually just mini-meals, grabbing leftovers a bit.

Here's a sample day with different meal options listed:

11AM--snack--e.g. plate of salad; half bowel of leftovers from last night's dinner with meat; handful of blueberries; piece of cheese

2:00PM--lunch--chicken with rice and vegetables; pasta with vegetables and beans; chicken and vegetable soup; burger/fish and fries

5:00PM--snack--yogurt; veggies and dip (carrots, cucumber, celery); chips; cheese; salad; leftover cooked vegetables; fries

7:00PM--dinner (sometimes skipped)--pizza; ramen noodles; egg sandwich; rice and lentils with yogurt salad; fish and vegetables

Between this, lots of drinks (mostly water).