Brain Fog Getting Worse :/

artluvr09

I am sick of having brain fog! It keeps getting worse! I get where I have trouble thinking, trouble finding words, and just feeling like I am in a fog. It gets to the point it interferes with my daily activities. What are your triggers? What helps you? I feel like when I was exercising my brain fog was better. I stopped around thanksgiving and got into a bad habit of not exercising and now I am too tired to start and I need to find a way to push myself to exercise. Also is it true that gut health can affect brain fog? I am starting to think I may be gluten sensitive as I noticed I get cranky with certain foods. I don't think there is any way i can go gluten free or dairy free. I usually eat eggs, bread and cheese everyday and yogurt because I am too tired to cook. I am afraid that my brain fog will start to affect my daily function. I am afraid that I am going to get so bad I won't be able to think at all or speak straight for be able to function. I know that that isn't going to happen but brain fog is scary to me. The only time I feel best is in the morning. So I would like to know what makes your brain fog worse and what helps your brain fog.

Just buy you some gluten free bread! That's what I do for lunch, is some kind of sandwich because I don't have enough energy to do anymore than that. I can pull a meal together for supper, though.

Heat is my absolute worst for brain fog! I have 16 hours of college math under my belt, and recently at a hot(inside, bad a/c) farmer's market, I could not make change. It was soooooo embarrassing. I just cannot think! I will stare while I am thinking, and I'm sure I look like I don't have it together...which I don't.

When my son had this so bad his doctor put him on Zoloft and L-Methylfolate. Low B vitamins can cause brain fog problems expecially if your body has a hard time absorbing them. You might need to get these checked by a doctor and see if he could help interpete the 23 and Me testing. This test lets you know what type of B vitamins your body needs.

Right now my son is starting to wean off of the Zoloft. He is not have any trouble with brain fog but I am going to continue to keep him on the supplement.

. Another medication he is on is Namenda. Namenda does help with brain fog and memory problems. This is a medication used for Alzhemimer's disease and is a prescription. However, my son is using this medication to help with headache and scalp pain. It has helped some in this area but I suspect it may also be helping with brain fog and memory. This medication is not a SSRI but regulates the NMDAR receptors which in return regulates glutamate in the brain. My son has high levels of glutamate and high levels of glutamate can be toxic to the body. He did try a gluten and dairy free diet for awhile but it had no effect on this condition because the condition is cause by overactive NMDAR receptors in the brain.

This brain fog is horrible to deal with and I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with it. A neurologist should be able to help you but a good functional medical doctor would be able to assist you with some more natural supplements. Wishing you the best with this situation.

If you do find that particular foods make it worse it would be worth a try to eliminate them from your diet and see how you do then. The only think that helped my brain fog is amotriptyline, no clue why though, I am actually taking it for migraines but it has significantly reduced my brain fog and has been doing so for years now. Compression stockings may also help you, I find they can be sometimes helpful.

I had a neurologist for a little to help my migraines and he was a good neurologist only saw him a couple times then he switched fields! haven't been to one since. I want to though but its about finding the right one and to find one that takes my insurance. I notice being hot makes me worse as well! oh how i hate the heat!

I have also found that exercise helps with brain fog. Even walking outside for 10, 20, or 30 min helps. I don't think that cutting out gluten will help. That looks like a popular fad and a marketing ploy. It seems to have something to do with celiac disease and someone started to thing that it should apply to everyone.

Regarding gluten, I am not celiac, but do eat gluten-free. I had the scope and biopsy, and I do not show any signs of having celiac disease. HOWEVER, I do have antibodies to gliadin(the protein in wheat, barley and rye), and they were 4x the upper limit!! From that fact alone, I gave up gluten. I cannot believe that a high level of antibodies going around in my body was not having adverse effects on my system. I have to say my stomach bloating lessened by about 75%. I definitely will take that!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm plus one on the gluten free. I was first told to go gluten free at mayo clinic by Dr. Robert Fealy. Top neurologists are commonly ant-gluten. I understand why people are resistant, but my only regret is not doing it sooner.

My second thought is provigil and focalin (adhd med) has also helped with my brain fog.

For years even before POTS kicked in I have noticed that when my gut is off my brain is off. That started with Lyme. Now after aggressive antibiotic treatment I am better from Lyme but still gut/ brain always hand in hand. So when gut is fine brain is better cognitively speaking.

Btw...whenever ON antibiotics gut was/ is perfect. So then I read about SIBO and said oh! Makes sense. Literature says SIBO can be corrected w/ abx yet if I have had SIBO it then relapsed. I can't stay on abx forever. Not on them now and gut is off. Yet SOMETIMES gut IS okay at times w/o abx Yet truth be told in general I am OVERALLS more functional when on abx. I never ever had from abx get bad stomach issues ....only better acting gut. Just need to say I am only occasionally on abx in recent years.

Hope this is not too confusing wording of this post.

I am gluten, dairy, sugar free.

I too deal with brain fog. Typically after an "event" it is the worst. I use cerefolin nac (Dr Grubb recommended) - also use l-methlyfolate, methylcobalamin, and n-acetyl-cysteine (as substitue for cerefolin nac) because the rx is very expensive and my insurance doesn't cover.

Thought earlier this year I was coming down with RA - every joint hurt so bad in the morning. Felt like crumpled spider getting out of bed in the morning. Had a friend recommend removing gluten from my diet and i feel SO MUCH BETTER! Helps with the brain fog too.

Hope this helps and best wishes.