Can Anyone Explain This???

angelloz

I have one issue i can not even get doctors to understand let along explain. Sometimes when I get that tickle in my throat, from whatever, after the first big cough my throat will close. The first time it happened I couldn't breathe back in. Very SCARY. I learned to relax my body and can slowly take in a breath again. If I can keep from coughing my throat relaxes more quickly. It is like my throat over reacts. Sometimes crying will cause it too but less suddenly. Any ideas??????

I have something similar--if I get choked, like when you drink something and it goes down the wrong way, and I start coughing, my throat will close and I can't get a breath. It's very scary!! I can rise both arms over my head and try to relax and usually by the third attempt to breathe, I can get a breath. I have no idea why this happens and I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it to a doctor.

I have a feeling in my throat, like a pressure/tightness, that's there most of the time that I'm standing and sometimes when I'm sitting. I have brought that up to doctors but have not gotten any explanation for it.

Wow!! Thank you for your reply..I really thought I was the only one. Yes, exactly...when I take a sip and it goes the wrong way it happens after I cough. I too get the pressure or tight feeling in my throat. I will try the arm trick. Thank you again!

I do have an epi pen but this doesn't seem like a swelling of the throat. It happens instantly and seems to almost totally close off..relaxing my body is what helps. I have never used my epi pen to date. Seems like a muscle issue almost.

I feel like mine is muscular. I had an abnormal pulmonary test once that said "suggestive of neuromuscular disease" and then I went to a consultant neurologist and he didn't think that I have anything neuromuscular. I still wonder about it though.