Do any of you take Benadryl and find it helpful? I have non epileptic seizures, tremors, surges,etc and I have found Benadryl to be the most helpful with the fewest side effects (used to use Ativan and be so out of it all the time). Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience…?

I take benadryl as an add on for my mcas when my regular antihistamines aren't covering it. But I don't have seizures. I know there has been at least one research paper posted on this forum in the past showing that regular benadryl use can cause seizures. (Something I was shocked to find out.) I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it here if I do.

Interesting.. didn't know that either! Thanks Katie

Seattlepotsy, how do you find Benadryl helpful? I have generalized epilepsy, now very well controlled w/ Trokendi XR. I also have migraines and have found IV Benadryl really beneficial when getting migraine treatments.

I find this interesting because my daughter is having horrible vertigo, takes a boatload of meds (diazepam, meclizine, sudafed) already, and the only thing she came home with from the ER was Benedryl. Oddly enough, it is helping a little. Not hugely, but some. Benedryl seems to have many uses!

DizzyGirls - my old immunologist used to joke that if he had to choose 3 drugs and all others disappeared, he'd want penicillin, prednisone, and benedryl. He said he could probably treat 80% of people's problem with those 3.

Bigtrouble - the only active ingredient in benedryl is diphenhydramine.

Dear all,

I just noted this on another thread. I had a second two hour(What a guy!) meeting with my neurologist last night. He told me Benadryl is particularly problematic for people with neurological disorders. Just passing this on with usual caveats @ medical advice!

Best,

Sylvie