Travelling With Pots

Hi my name is Aoife. I have just joined this forum. I was diagnosed with POTS a few months ago after having symptoms for a few years. I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to fly on a short haul flight? I am supposed to be visiting family and the flight is only a couple hours but my mum wants to find out if I can before I see my cardiologist in a few weeks incase alternative travel plans need to be made.
I am very greatful to anyone that replies and I am glad to have joined this forum as I do not know anyone else with POTS or dysautonomia so I am eager to get to know others. (Sorry if this message is extremely long winded :) )

Hi Aoife! I wrote a response in the link that was attached above. I have flown the same route again this past holiday season and was fine (other than some motion sickness from turbulence.) I again used the wheelchair assistance through the airports.

Enjoy your trip and welcome to the forum!

Hi, Aoife! I know that everyone is different, but a two hour flight sounds manageable to me. I just got home from a four hour flight, and the plane ride itself was fine. My main issue was being really sick for a few days after the flight from having to sit up for so long. Unless you are passing out a lot, I think you should be able to handle the flight itself. But it's good that you will be able to ask your cardiologist about it as well.

Good luck! Hope you have a good holiday with your family!

I've worn compression tights, but I also find that being able to sit cross-legged helps the most. It is very draining to be sitting upright in a dehydrating environment, but it can be done with lots of hydration and compression. If you can sit with your mum and put the arm rest up and sit cross-legged, that might help. I used to get IV infusions before flying, but I've found that just doubling up my Florinef for a few days seems to help (or not help?) just as much and it doesn't cost me an extra medical bill.

I just flew last week and other than a POTS flare up on one leg of the flight (because we were rushed and unable to eat and hydrate properly as planned) and some fatigue, I've been just fine. During the flare-up I took an extra Midodrine and hydrated a lot. I was able to sit cross-legged because there was an empty seat beside me, thank goodness.

Good luck!