At Last A Diagnosis!

TCP

After a long hard fight I have finally managed to get a diagnosis of POTS and Vasovagal Syncope. I was referred to a local doctor trained in these areas of expertise and I got the diagnosis confirmed, Previously to this two other doctors would not commit to saying that I had it. He was very thorough, attentive and actually listened to me and understood all that I had been going through for so long. I am relieved. He appreciated how debilitating my condition was along with EDS, neuropathic pain and chronic fatigue. I could have kissed him, but that would have scared the life out of him!

He has given me lots of advice and is trying me on Ivabradine again with a much lower dosage. I am also going ahead with his advice re-fluid intake, salt, exercise (twice daily) and compression stockings etc. I said my main worry with compression stockings is the nerve pain, as I have tried them. He said to just use them when I exercise if they are too uncomfortable. We'll see how I get on with the Ivabradine and adjust or change as and when necessary.

I will be assigned a nurse with an interest in this condition who will be a source of support and advice and also some follow-up appointments. He told me it takes time to make changes that will help me, but it will make me feel better than I do now.

Earlier this week I had the nerve conduction tests and EMG. The neurologist I had seen a few weeks ago said nothing would show up. I knew that the more widespread small fibre neuropathy would not show in conventional testing on the longer nerves, but some damage has shown up in my calf muscle.

It's been a very productive week and one that I am extremely grateful for.

Congratulations! You must feel- in a sense- relieved to have finally received a diagnosis! I remember the feelings searching for answers, and someone who was willing to truly listen. I hope that with this, and the suggested medical/therapeutical modulation so you are able to feel better. Best of luck!!