Uti's

db2504

For me, it depends on the UTI. Did they do a urine culture & sensitivity test to find out which antibiotics the bacteria was sensitive to? A lot of docs don't, but it's really helpful in determining which antibiotics are going to work for that strain of bacteria. As far as antibiotics, I've had the best luck with Bactrim (it's widely prescribed for UTIs though, so some doctors prefer not to use it due to resistance) and even Nitrofurantoin works if the UTI is mild and hasn't affected the kidneys at all. Levaquin works well but they usually only give me that one if the UTI is pretty severe and there's risk of kidney infection.

I went through a period of time where I had a ton of UTIs and antibiotics alone weren't clearing them 100%, so I used D-Mannose (it's a supplement - it's a simple sugar that remains localized to the GI tract and kidneys, so it doesn't go into general circulation and cause side effects). It causes the bacteria to lose their adherence on the bladder wall. I always found D-Mannose in addition to my antibiotics to be super effective (I'd also take it a few days after I stopped the antibiotics to prevent recurrence). Most docs were familiar with it and were on board with my using it. Occasionally, I also used Cystex in addition to the antibiotics and D-Mannose - Cystex has a urinary pain reliever but also has an additional antimicrobial compound that keeps bacteria from replicating. It's over the counter, although depending on your daughter's sensitivities to meds (and interactions with her current meds) I would ask the doctor or pharmacist about this one before trying it.

Hope that helps!

Keflex- I really like this antibiotic for UTI's. If the UTI is really bad you could see if she could get a shot of rocephin which I had to do when I got a kidney infection post partum. I would bring it up her doctor that it isn't helping and mention how big of a deal it is and hopefully they will work with you.

Hello,

I have had a long history of UTIs. So much so,that I developed allergies to almost all antibiotics except the penicillins. I had been on Cipro,sulfa drugs and macrodantin. I had to do something because I know that someday I will need antibiotics,and there are few left.( also allergic to erythromycins). I cannot afford to risk more allergies,as I may need antibiotics for pneumonia or some other scary infection. I heard about mannose from a friend, who stopped having recurrent UTI with it. I reviewed Pub Med literature on mannose and discovered that it is used prophetically in paraplegics who have frequent UTIs from cathertization,and that it was successful in treating them.

I have taken UTI Vibrance, sold at the Vitamin Store and Whole Foods for about 10 years with amazing success. ( I use the powder) Once I switched to this product,I stopped requiring antibiotics. Only once in that time have I needed antibiotics. Before,I was on antibiotics several times a year. Knowing the risk of kidney infections, I monitor my ph and do chem strips of my urine,and I do go get checked if I think I need to. But the urinalysis comes back negative if I have been taking the mannose for a few days, and start it at the first sign of possible infection. Even last month I feared that I needed antibiotics for a UTI. My urine was more alkaline (meaning that it was more favorable to bacteria), and my chem strip had trace proteins. I had a urinalysis which did show trace amounts of ketones. The doc wanted o start me on antibiotics, even though I was borderline. I kept up with the UTI Vibrance, and it worked. I was able to stay off antibiotics.

For me , it really does work. The mannose coats the bladder and sheds the bacteria. But I am also very aggressive in monitoring my urine, and starting it as soon as those symptoms hit. It works for me, Im not sure if it works for everyone. Plus,no doctor would ever recommend it over antibiotics. do your research,but this stuff has saved me from antibiotics.