Goosebumps When Exercising Then Extremely Chilled??

I was wondering if any of you experience this? I ride my horse 3-5 days per week and when it is warm out I flush, get goosebumps everywhere and sweat profusely all the way through my clothes. When I am done riding or on my elliptical, I will get extremely chilled, even after taking a warm shower, it's nearly impossible for me to get warm again, then when I do warm up, I overheat.

I have been to Mayo and they gave me a diagnosis of a hyperadrenergic state, I guess a form of hyper Pots? I've been to an allergist with no help even though she put me on antihistamines and tried tons of other things.

Most of the time these symptoms are just annoying but everything I am reading says that it could be dangerous and a sign of heat exhaustion. I do sometimes get a wicked headache after one of these episodes. I have started drinking Gatorade again in the hopes that it will help and I'm supplementing with Magnesium.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kris!! Great to see you pop up.. I've Wondered how you were here and there and have kept my fingers crossed for you.

I copied and pasted this from mitoaction.org

"One common and confusing result of dysautonomia for many people is related to body temperature. It is not uncommon for mitochondrial disease patients to have some abnormal regulation of body temperature, resulting in either a lower or higher baseline body temperature (commonly 96-97 degreees) or a marked inability to tolerate heat or cold. In this way, abnormal sweating is another characteristic of dysautonomia. Sweating as an autonomic nervous system function occurs in order to cool the body (sweating independent of environmental temperature is related to the sympathetic nervous system, as a response to anxiety, fear, stress, etc.). The absence of sweating occurs in some individuals, making them very sensitive to over-heating in warmer climates. Conversely, some people may sweat excessively regardless of the environmental temperature. Hydration is useful in both instances. Keeping the body well-hydrated with plenty of liquids is a very important preventive measure for the majority of people with mitochondrial disease. Recognizing that probability of heat and cold intolerance and the potential consequences (often fatigue or pain) makes it important for patients and families to use good planning when going outdoors, getting into a hot car, swimming or bathing, etc."

Kris... Have you ever tried IV fluids with some sugar in the bag after a particularly bad episode, or even checked your temperature to see what its running?

Sarah

Hi there, I have a hyper variety, too. I can't regulate temps well at all. I have to be super careful with temperatures both outside and inside. I also have to carefully regulate my shower temp.

You might try responding to your reactions as what they appear to be...if it looks like heat exhaustion, it probably is, even if it's not that hot outside. The same is true for exposure to cold.

Hi Sarah! Thanks for responding. I'm not currently under treatment for these issues as my GI issues have gotten very bad. I've never tried IV fluids or taken my temp.

I did send an email to my rheumatologist. I'm not sure he can help but I figured I should ask since everything I'm reading makes these symptoms sound dangerous.

So I just worked out on the elliptical. 3.5 miles in 30 minutes. Goosebumps started at around 15 minutes. When I finished exercising I took my temperature. It was 97 degrees and continued to drop to 95.1. I am drinking Gatorade now.

I'm sweating profusely, very flushed and still covered in goosebumps. I did have a brief moment of dizziness coming up the stairs when I was finished on the elliptical.

I was not expecting a low temp. What does this mean? Still waiting to hear from the doctor.

I don't think the goosebumps or sweating are unusual but that doesn't mean that there isn't any danger associated with it. Dysautonomia often causes temperature dysregulatation and the profuse sweating easily leads to dehydration. Since we tend to need more hydration than the average person anyway, it is a real concern, especially since you are participating in an outdoor summer sport and can not regulate your actual environment. I would work with the docs to get a good hydration plan going if you are riding that often out in the heat.

I've been better but I'm hanging in there. Pets are good. Thanks for asking. It's good to hear from you, although I wish it wasn't for this reason. Good luck at your shows this summer!