Northera Aka Droxidopa - Your Daily Dosage? How Does It Work For You?

I am using Northera (Droxidopa) 100 mg. tablets 3 tablets 3x a day for orthostatic hypotension. So far it does not work for me. If you are using it, what is your final dosage and how does it work for you?

I've been on it for a few days now and the results are mixed. After initially dropping to 69/49, my blood pressure seems to be staying up a little more than usual. I am also a little less lightheaded when standing. The major drawback has been that my heart rate is above 100 much of the time which makes me feel ehausted. I'm hoping that if I stick with it a while longer, my body will adjust and the good parts will outweigh the bad. It took me four months to finally get a prescription so I am very committed to making this work.

What mg. dose are you on forum members? How long? I am changing to Northera 300mg. tabs.from 100mg. in my new prescription. I have only been on it two weeks
I wonder how the mgs. in 300mg. capsules can be varied. I am best at 400mg - but pulse rate about 105. At 200mg dose my orthostatic numbers kick back in.
You can't cut them in half - so what is the solution?

I was up to four 100mg capsules three times a day when I had to just stop taking it. My heart rate was over 100 bpm almost all the time no matter what I was doing and I was getting dizzy on standing. I wasn't doing much better at lower doses either. The clincher was when I started to have an irregular heart beat and strong palpitations with significant chest pain. I have been off it for a few days now and I am still trying to recover from the effects. I am disappointed because this was my last medication to try - I've been through all the others with no success. .

Sorry that I can't be of much help, Ronnie.

• 2 weeks later...

I waited on this drug to be FDA approved for 3 years and finally last year got my chance to try it. The first day it worked 3 --100 mg first thing in the morning. My pressure would drop in the mornings to 60/45 and rise by 5 O'clock in the evenings to 220/115 but once I started Northera it fixed both problems. I felt normal --- life is great--after about 3 months I notice I must be 120 years old . I could hardly get in and out of car. The muscle soreness was awful. In addition the fatigue as un bearable . At first. I did not relate it to the Northera due to coming on so slow. I stopped it and within a couple days the soreness and fatigue stopped. I tried it back a couple times and same results. So, I am back on Midrodrine. I told my doctor I was doing it like an IV drip. I let it melt in my mouth and lay what is left aside and an hour later do more of what was left. My doctor thought that was a great idea. I have PAF. I waited so long for this drug and for awhile I felt normal. I hope this helps some of you understanding my story.

HI,

I also take Droxidopa (300mg + 300mg + 200mg). I have taken it in 2 years now and I feel so much better than before. I also feel tired often but it varies. I do not think it is because of Droxidopa. I always have had this terrible fatigue but it is better now than earlier. I usually get more chestpain when I am more tired and than I also feel more weak and so on. My body needs high doses of adrenaline/epinephrine because of autoantibodies which attack the epinephrine my body is producing. I have always been extremly active like persons with hyperactivity Syndrome and that helped me beeing able to live an ok life. When I stress my body it increases the epinephrinelevels and than I work better. When I told my physician that I do not tolerate inactivity at all and that high activity does that I feel better, he guessed that Droxidopa could be helpful. And than the bloodtest showed us that he was wright. Today I am not free of symptoms, but I am much better. Droxidopa is not working on everyone. It maybe is a good drug till just a few patients, but it is worth to be tested.
Another drug I am very thankfull for is nitroglycerine which helps for chestpain/coronary artery spasm. Life is so much easier with that even if you get pretty dizzy of taking it. But that is just temporarily in 20-30 min.