Endoscopy Went Okay - No Pots Symptoms Triggered!

Just wanted to post a positive experience with procedural sedation and POTS in case folks are looking for case studies.

I had an upper endoscopy (mouth to the bottom of the stomach) this morning with procedural sedation with propofol. The doctor used double his normal dose of saline (he usually uses 250mL but used 500mL with me), and they used a mouthguard (standard, I think). O2sat (via pulse oximetry) and blood pressure were both monitored. I remember feeling "funny" and then waking up feeling very drowsy but otherwise okay; I was also pretty talkative! For the next hour or so I was very dizzy (required my cane to walk safely), but otherwise have had no POTS symptoms triggered (dizziness like this isn't normal for me with POTS or otherwise). Jaw also feels fine, despite the H-EDS and jaw troubles. Only downside is the sore throat! But I'm taking it easy today and resting at home just in case. I didn't even feel faint from the IV, which is a real wonder as that's usually a serious trigger.

I had spoken with the doctor on the phone yesterday and he seemed receptive to my concerns/suggestions; definitely a good thing to do with POTS before any procedure involving meds!

No problem! It sounds like I don't have any damage to my esophagus from acid reflux, and the morphology is overall normal. One weird thing was that I still had some food in my stomach despite not eating for 8 hours (they asked for 6 hours of fasting and I happened to do 8)... he suggested Iberogast (and told me to talk with my PCP about it) to help with that and the symptoms in general. Still waiting on the results from the biopsies for bacteria and lactose intolerance.

I was skeptical of Iberogast initially (herbal mix?!), but this study is pretty convincing: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2004.02275.x/abstract

"Meta-analysis: phytotherapy of functional dyspepsia with the herbal drug preparation STW 5 (Iberogast)" - apparently it has a significant impact on stomach symptoms and is as effective as conventional medical treatment in some cases.

Now just waiting for the results and the news from my PCP!

[btw, corina, I'm actually living in Europe now - Zürich specifically]

Glad it went well!! I've been through a couple of upper and lower scopes with POTS, and had no issues whatsoever. My only concern before each one was the fasting part, because I tend to get low blood sugar. The doctor gave me an IV that had some dextrose(?) in it for the sake of prevention,

I had a transnasal esophagoscopy because I react poorly to anesthesia. It's not sedated, takes 25 minutes and is a piece of cake. Had one done 6 weeks ago and they also did a cancer biopsy. They can see everything an endoscopy can. The only reason more doctors dont use it is financial strong arming from the companies who make the endoscopy technology.