Wondering How Many Here Use A Cane...

Every summer we attend a summer music festival in July. It is hot, hot, hot. Luckily I have a handicap placard for (third summer) my car and no longer have to walk the mile from the parking area and I am allowed to sit in the handicap area rather than standing in the grass in general. Lately, I have been wearing compression hose and that does help me walk longer distances (although there are still some days where it is a victory to walk down my driveway to get the mail). However in the July heat I am pretty sure they will just make me feel worse (it's only in the 60-70's here now and I have been skipping them already)

Anyway, I am seriously considering getting a cane for this event even though most days I do ok. I am not nearly as POTSy as some people so I am feeling a little whiny and like a faker for even thinking of it. Thoughts? I thought it might be useful as I can usually walk a little further in the store if I am the one who pushes the cart, even though I still feel like crud.

Hi,

I was feeling whiny about my mobility issues, but was reminded by the fabulous folks here to do what is needed when it is needed. It doesn't have to be permanent.

I used a cane until I got the horrible walker. I loathe that thing...

If you are going to be on grass, spend the extra dollars for one with multiple tips. That way it doesn't sink in the dirt as badly. You can also get canes that fold, so you it's not in your way once your where you are going.

I still have my, what I loving call, lame stick. I occasionally still use it.

So do what you need to. If you want, you can even bedazzle it, spray paint, decoupage, whatever you want. It's a music festival? Dress that stick up and take it out for a spin!!!

Wishing you good luck!

I haven't used a cane but I have used wheelchair assistance in certain situations and was glad of it once I plucked up the courage and did it. It gave me the ability to do things I wouldn't have even considered without the wheelchair.

I totally, 100% agree with Kkb1216! (Especially the bedazzling and taking it out for a spin part! Lol!)

I use a cane (primarily for my chronic pain) and am considering getting a walker (also for pain, but also for more support when I'm dizzy, I plan to get a rollator so I can always sit when I need to).

I totally agree with the people above! If you think you need it, get it. It may only be used once or it may come in handy on bad days. You're definitely not a faker. :)

Never used a cane, but use a wheelchair and a rolling walker... I'm threatening to decorate my wheelchair, or at least order a pink one when I can afford a new one, lol. If you gotta use it to be safe, you gotta use it, so might as well own that baby and be like "bam! I'm a rock star!"

i have a cane ..and i have a cane that has a seat on it..has come in handy many times..i also have a walker with a seat..and a regular wheelchair and a motorized wheelchair..depending on the day i have lots of choices..i have learned to get over what other people may think just by looking at me..i know how i feel and if i push myself i set myself up for a serious attack and then i cant do anything for days..do what you need to make your life liveable and bareable :)