Back Pain And Pots

Hello db2504,

I wear an abdominal binder that really helps with blood pooling issues but also provides great lumbar support and I use a heating pad at times. If I am really desperate I take an advil but I try to avoid that if at all possible. Getting off my feet and laying down helps. You didn't mention where the back pain is. The binder helps with my lower back pain. If my mid to upper back is problematic I put on a lidoderm 5% patch. I apply heat as needed in that area as well. At one point I was referred to physical therapy which was helpful. It sounds as if you may need to have your daughter evaluated especially if this is a new complaint. Back pain can be indicative of a kidney infection as well as other issues. I'm sorry your daughter is struggling with this painful issue. I hope it resolves soon.

Janet

I use tiger balm patches. I do get random middle back pain, not coinciding with physical activity. I ALWAYS have right shoulder pain. I think I should check this out but with everything else...... Sometimes I ache as if with the flu. I have wondered about the connections with fibro and autonomic issues?

Thank u everyone for your responses. Her back psin is in the middle of her back on the right side. She has tried advil but it does not help. She tried bengay patches and that helps a little bit. She is also experiencing aching legs. I feel so bad for her bc the symptoms just dont let up.

I feel bad for her as well. Pain is such a terrible thing to have to deal with. Does your daughter's doctor offer up any possible reason for the pain issues ? Of course the aching legs could be a PoTS thing because of pooling issues but right sided middle of the back pain isn't generally a PoTS complaint as far as I know.

Yes and ive spoken to about twenty pots patients who also have waxing and waning ankylosing spondylitis.

There is s gene test that can detect it (hla b27).

Pain is migratory and can effect sacroiliac joints, anywhere along the spine and shoulders. Worst in mornings and after rest.

hope she doesnt have it but for me it came on with pots.

its an autoimmune disorder

A couple more thoughts about back pain....

Do you think she might have EDS (Ehler's Danlos Syndrome) as back pain is not uncommon with that. People who have that, also tend to have early onset arthritis. From where you are describing the pain it sounds muscular or perhaps organ in origination, although with EDS people can have rib subluxations that are also painful.

Arthritic pain typically is worse in the morning and improves with movement. Same with Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Does anything make the pain worse or better? The rule of thumb we learned in school was if you can influence the pain (i,e, make it better or worse by doing something) then it's likely musculo-skelatal. If you (the patient) can't change the pain then it's a red flag to seek out other medical care as it may be something else.

Hope you can find some answers for your daughter.