Beta Blocker Experiences?

jknh9

Beta blocker experience  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good morning everyone,

My neuro recently changed my treatment. I'm completely off of Zoloft and Wellbutrin and am taking Mestinon. He started me on a low-dose beta blocker (metoprolol) last week. This is my fifth day on it, and I am as exhausted now as when I was first diagnosed years ago. I'm feeling awful and my blood pressure is bottoming out--90/60 even after vigorously cleaning the house for an hour. I also went to bed at 10 last night and got up at 7:30 this morning and am still feeling completely wiped out. I usually need a lot of sleep anyway, but not to that extent normally. I'm currently taking only 12.5 mg but it's having such a huge effect. Are these effects something that wears off? I'm also worried about keeping my BP that low. Honestly I was feeling "ok" (for a POTSie, that is) with just the Mestinon when it was my only med for several weeks.

Do beta blockers work for you? Have you had these side effects?

I tried 3 different bb's before I settled on the one that worked. The first one made me way too tired and dropped my BP too low (90s/50s). The second one I was unsure about also and the third one (that's cardio specific) seems to be working well. Maybe ask your doc to try a different one? Or cut the dosage? My doc said he had a long list of bb's and we'd just go down the list til I found one that worked. I have gained weight which I am not happy about. (I exercised this morning and my heart rate doesn't even get to 100 while doing cardio.)

For me , the bb is to keep my HR down. When I was standing, it would be around 120-130, now it's in the 80s. I still have other symptoms that it doesn't help.

Hi,

This is actually have info on. Yay.

I am on 400mg of metoprolol daily. Some days, I am too tired to brush my own hair. Other days, I can start dinner and take a shower in the same day...which to me is a barn burner of a day.

My cardiologist says he has never had anyone on the doses I am on for as long as I have been, so he doesn't know how much of my fatigue is all beta blocker, and how much is other factors.

So yes, I am often exhausted after 10 or 12 hours sleep. Regular activity stalls, and I get very frustrated on days where I can't seem to muster the strength needed to do the simplest of tasks.

I do not have low blood pressure due to a beta blocker. I have a heart rate in the 140's right now watching Star Trek and typing on my tablet do dad.

No two of us are the same. We all react differently. So, don't use me as a guide stick. And if you have concerns, call your doctor or his nurse and check in. Heart meds are serious business.

Wishing you good Luck!

-K

I just tried it for a couple of days...until my throat started to itch and close off. I swelled 11 lbs of water and was miserable. Nearly went to the emergency room.

It did lower my HR by 20 points and that was great....but not great if I cant breathe.

obviously, I am allergic.

I've been on beta blockers for about 8 years. I tried propranolol first and absolutely hated it. I felt awful; it basically knocked me out. I switched to metoprolol, which worked decently well, but didn't last as long as I needed it to. Switched to Toprol, the extended version of metoprolol, and, though I played with doses for a little while, that's the med that works best for me. Really, if I had to pick only one med, it would probably be my beta blocker.

I'd recommend trying a different one. If you can find one that works for you, it's a good drug to have in your arsenal.

90/60 is pretty normal for me 'at rest' (ie supine, it rises a fair bit to a more 'normal' level on standing and activity) so I've been pretty doubtful so far when two different cardiologists have mentioned beta blockers as the thing to try for POTS. I'm sort of at the point where I wonder if I'll just have to bite the bullet and see how it goes before they'll start being a bit more open to exploring other avenues.

• 4 months later...

I have been on atenolol for maybe a year or a little over a year now. It has worked great! Both my cardiologist and my neurologist wanted me on it. my neurologist said it would help my migraines and my cardiologist wanted me on it so my heart won't work so hard and it has greatly helped! It has helped lessen my palpitations, and pounding racing heart. it has also helped my anxiety symptoms of shakiness and racing heart as well. I have only missed one dose once when i forgot my morning meds and i could tell i did not have my atenolol. I got clammy, pounding heart, palpitations and overall not feeling well. I take a half of a 25 milligram pill in the morning and the other half at supper.