Jogging In Place?

Goschi

I recently decided I want to extend my physical exercise program to some more challenging things.

I think about Jogging, but I don't want to risk too much and therefore only start to do it at home for safety reasons. My question: Does jogging in place makes sense...? Did anybody start with this and finally went over to "real" jogging in nature...?

I tried jogging in place playing on the Nintendo Wii Fit, it gave my symptoms as if I were actually jogging. If you're able to build yourself up I wouldn't see why this wouldn't work. For me after playing on the Wii for some time I ended up lying in bed for hours, I just didn't have the strength to keep doing it, I gave up, but hope to try again eventually.

Nintendo Wii Fit would be another interesting thing to try out - but maybe that's more strenous than simply jogging...?

However, I already started to try jogging in place at home. I can easily tolerate 5 minutes, I am not short of breath afterwards and my HR never goes higher than 110! (usually 90-95 when walking or standing, 75-80 when supine).

I will now try to extend my jogging time very slowly.

I tried jogging in place playing on the Nintendo Wii Fit, it gave my symptoms as if I were actually jogging. If you're able to build yourself up I wouldn't see why this wouldn't work. For me after playing on the Wii for some time I ended up lying in bed for hours, I just didn't have the strength to keep doing it, I gave up, but hope to try again eventually.

If you like to start again - do it very slowly!! Start with maximum 10-15 jogging steps a day (!), look if you can tolerate and establish this for some days. Then maybe go up to 20-25 steps, again keep this for some days, etc.

I guess, everything more/faster could be too much!! Good luck!!

Yes! I did this to work up to more strenuous exercise. The Wii is great, and so is doing circuits- jogging for 30 seconds, walking in place for 1-2 mins, etc. Whatever feels comfortable. I also love this indoor jogging video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzBrAbpOt-WY&ei=EsIrVY-9KYqrgwT8noCoBQ&usg=AFQjCNF-o0f6NjIrYYeqZHX5a14IFdWhRQ&bvm=bv.90491159,d.eXY

You can easily slow to a walk and tailor the workout to fit you :) And I like the instructor's style a lot.

Yes! I did this to work up to more strenuous exercise. The Wii is great, and so is doing circuits- jogging for 30 seconds, walking in place for 1-2 mins, etc. Whatever feels comfortable. I also love this indoor jogging video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzBrAbpOt-WY&ei=EsIrVY-9KYqrgwT8noCoBQ&usg=AFQjCNF-o0f6NjIrYYeqZHX5a14IFdWhRQ&bvm=bv.90491159,d.eXY

You can easily slow to a walk and tailor the workout to fit you :) And I like the instructor's style a lot.

Thanks for the link, I will look at it as soon as possible!

And folks, do you know what!? I recently discovered that jogging in place (for the time being only for a couple of minutes) is able to lift up my brain fog!!

I realised this totally by chance some days ago when I was brain foggy - after 3 minutes jogging the fog was gone! When I slipped into a slight brain fog yesterday, I immediately started to jog in place (in my office, luckily alone ;-)) - and again the fog was gone right afterwards!

May have to do with better blood circulation to the brain, I am still not sure - I just know that I like this simple measure against brain fog quite a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Goshi. When i was exercising everyday for 30 minutes I felt better. But around thanksgiving I stopped and got into bad habits I still am the same weight but haven't been exercising now i don't have the energy to exercise. I am trying to get my energy back up and i bought a fitbit charge hr and love it. It is hard to get back into exercising because my brain fog is so bad lately and my cardiologist tells me that the more i sit around and do nothing the worse i am going to feel.